Cat wont use litter box! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Cat wont use litter box!

My wonderful kitten Alastor refuses to use the litter box! We keep it clean, have two of them (both with different types of litter, hoping that would help) but he refuses to poop in either! He always uses the basement floor (we have used enzyme based cleaner) and often urinates on the bathroom floor, bedroom floor, towels, clothes etc. We have thoroughly cleaned everything and have taken him to the vet, no UTi. We started feeding him wet food and making sure he is drinking enough water thinking maybe he was constipated and didn't like the box for that reason, but to no avail. He is about 6 months old, my other cat is his momma, so we have had him since day one. He seemed to use the box till he was about 3 months old (was the first of the four kittens to use the box) but since then rarely uses it. He sometimes will pee in there when we have access to the other rooms shut off. We had him fixed about a week and a half ago (and healed marvelously) but he's had two potty accidents over the weekend in the bedroom. Not sure what to do and we are at our wits end. We love the boy, he is so sweet and affectionate but don't know what to do at this point as we can't let him into the bedrooms unless he is closely supervised and he cries at the door all the time (sleeps outside our bedroom). Other cat (about a year and a half old) never had issues past 4 or 5 months and even before that were few and far between. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Cat Addict

Maybe its the litter? Or maybe your litterbox

I would add another box...1 covered, 1 not...see it that helps and maybe a litter change is in order. You could try dr elyses cat attract...I used that to retrain marshall...it worked for him. Every time he uses the box....give a lot of praise. If you find a poo..put it in his box, if he has peed on something...if you could take a small bit of the soiled item (shirt, blanket) put a small piece of that in there. I would take him in the box...take his paw and scratch the litter with it and praise him
Good luck
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Cat

as gizmothecat said, it could well be the litter.

I have tried many different brands from the really cheap to the expensive (bio-cat paper pellets etc) and if I use anything other than Catsan Hygiene he goes on the floor next to the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Cat Addict

and some cats with long hair on the paw bottoms....are VERY picky about litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page