Neutering Side Effects - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Neutering Side Effects

Our Blackie is about 11 months old and we had him neutered 11 days ago.

We live in the Philippines and most cats are not well cared for, and we did not want him out mingling with the street cats any more than needed. Neutering cats is not common here and most people to not take good care of their pets.

Before the neutering, he did not have any of the bad male habits I have read about. He was sweet (except for the occasional biting of ankles to get attention) and a fairly relaxed cat. He loved to play and when he was alone he would play by himself.

He seems to have healed up fine without any sign of infections, and he eats, drinks, pees and poops fine.

The problem is, after the neutering, he has become a different cat, but quite the opposite of what I thought would happen. He is very hyper-active, and when not asleep, constantly walks and rubs against everything around, and meowing a loud long meow. He rarely meowed before. His eyes are big all the time and he does not want to be held for more than a few seconds, whereas before he liked being held for a long time. We had to keep him inside after the neutering, and he just wants to get out, going to the door, jumping at the windows, etc., etc.

He used to ride in the car to pickup our daughter from school, enjoying the car rides and then enjoying all the kids at the school, all while being very mellow. It looks that will be a thing of the past.

We are sad about this and of course he does not seem happy. It seems like there is an unanticipated hormonal change. Any thoughts on why this happened and will it fade over time?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Premier Cat

These aren't the side effects of neutering. These are the side effects of your cat growing up and becoming an adult cat instead of being a kitten.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

I've read here on the Forum that some cats have some leftover testosterone for a couple weeks. Maybe that's why his behavior is odd - operation, meds, leftover testosterone, etc.

Plus, cats go through phases just like kids. A cuddly cat can turn standoffish for a few months, then go back to being a velcro kitty.

Maybe give it a couple weeks and see how he's adjusting.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Jr. Cat

I'm with Marie! My Clinton is typically a cuddly, laid back kitty but he does have several days in a row where he acts completely out of character and will want nothing to do with me. I've also heard of the testosterone getting left behind, I imagine his hormones are out of whack and it will take some time to get back to normal. I mean, think about it...He had his manly bits removed. It will take some time for him to level out period and that could take 12 days or more.

...cats are a home's visible soul...

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:41 PM
Cool Cat

My male Pomeranian also acted very odd and obnoxious when he got neutered. It took a few weeks but he's totally gone back to normal now, I can only assume it's the hormonal changes they're going through that cause them to feel weird.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Premier Cat

Testosterone can actually be in the system for up to a month afterwards!
I would say he's also having withdrawals from being an outside cat to an indoor one!
Give him time and the usual attention, also play a little more with him!
He should be ok in a little while and more back to the guy you're used to!:p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Much appreciated!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

To me, this sounds like more of a response to anesthesia than the actual neutering. Although 11 days is a long time. But given it's not a common thing where you live, they may have over anesthetized him or used an older drug that is no longer used in the US.

I know that Kobi was very agitated for a day or so after he had a dental, it was definitely the anesthesia.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 11:22 PM
Premier Cat

Maybe he is still indignant to wake up and discover something important is now missing...and he is going around trying to find them/call them back? I can only imagine how upset a human male would be to come to and discover what had happened. Hopefully he will get over it soon and realize the tradeoff is a nice comfy life without having to worry about fighting other males for the right to mate with a female....

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
To me, this sounds like more of a response to anesthesia than the actual neutering. Although 11 days is a long time. But given it's not a common thing where you live, they may have over anesthetized him or used an older drug that is no longer used in the US.

I know that Kobi was very agitated for a day or so after he had a dental, it was definitely the anesthesia.
We had this thought as well. Perhaps a reaction to the anesthesia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page