Does anyone have a cat containment fence? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Does anyone have a cat containment fence?

It finally happened....Sammy jumped the 6' fence in my backyard and ended up trapped in the neighbor's yard. This wouldn't have been such a big deal, but they weren't home and their fence gate was padlocked.....and they have a Mastiff! I knew they would let the dog out as soon as they got home. I tried putting my 3 step stepladder over the fence so he could come back over, but it fell on it's side and scared him half to death. Finally, I ripped 3 boards out of the fence and Sammy came running thru and into the house. Then I crawled thru the space and recued my ladder. All that was left was to nail the boards back in. Got 2 up and was going to start on the 3rd when, sure enough, their back door opens and the mastiff comes charging out. I tried to call to my neighbor but he couldn't hear me over the furious barking. Now I have a mastiff's head trying to poke thru the opening! Really territorial! So I took the last board and started jamming it into place...pushing the mastiff's head back. Got it nailed and all is well.
BUT....once over a fence....My cats love playing in the backyard and before this, no one had ever even looked up at the fence. Now I have a problem. There is a place online called Purrrfect Fence....but they are very expensive. There is another one called Cat containment system, that is very similar and a little cheaper. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had any experience with these products. They have invisible fences for cats, but since the PetSmart manager told me that the dog shock system would kill a cat, I'm not trusting that even if it says it is for cats.
Sammy was out today, under my supervision, and sure enough, I caught him staring at the fence and doing that measuring thing they do before they jump on a dresser or whatever. They love it so much out there that I don't want to take that stimulation away by keeping them in all the time
Help...anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:10 AM
Senior Cat

I don't have a yard, but a friend of mine has something like this:
http://m.instructables.com/id/Catproof-Your-Yard/

Says it works well, might be something to look into

Sent from Petguide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 03:07 AM
Cool Cat

Yes, I learned from Jackson Galaxy's show that it doesn't matter how high the fence is - if you have something coming down at a 45 degree angle, almost no cat will try to climb it.

The link zuma posted is perfect for demonstrating it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Cat

Great link zuma! I really love my catio, but this is a really excellent option as well! Probably better, actually, if you don't have a bunch of bird feeders!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks everybody! I ended in ordering Cat Fence-In (www.catfencein.com). They have been around for a long time and have a good reputation. Expensive but cheaper than Purrrfect Fence. Sammy went over the fence again yesterday (the other 3 lined up and stared at the fence so I knew what had happened. Just as I was approaching the fence to see what was going on, the neighbors let their mastiff out (they didn't know they had a cat in their yard). I didn't know if Sammy could get back over. Well, the boom of a mastiff's bark sent that boy flying back over the fence. Sammy then proceeded to vomit.....guess he got scared good! I don't trust him to have learned his lesson, so he is grounded inside until I can get the fence attachment up!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM
Cat

Depending on where you live your cats could be in danger from hawks or eagles if they're left alone outside. We don't have eagles where we live but there are a lot of hawks around. They couldn't carry a cat away but they could kill one and try to eat it on the ground.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Premier Cat

Attachment 47266

I got this off the internet and thought it an easy and great idea plus cheap to do. The mesh across the stanchions prevents them from jumping onto the fence.

Last edited by Marcia; 05-29-2014 at 03:26 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Tom Cat

looks like a good way to keep the cats in the yard. I plan on making an enclosed area in my front yard, about 10x20 feet, I was planning on using flag pole brackets every 6' or so to attach some sort of fence material to it like in those pics. I also have a large mesh bird netting that I got from somewhere that should cover the enclosure. With a little work, I think I can make it cat escape proof. They will have a few places to lounge in the sun too. I'll use a tunnel system so they can go from a porch to this enclosed area. If spring ever gets here, I can start to work on it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
I don't have a yard, but a friend of mine has something like this:
Catproof Your Yard

Says it works well, might be something to look into

Sent from Petguide.com App
Man I dunno if I'd trust this. It looks so easy to just jump on.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Premier Cat

According to Jackson Galaxy from "My Cat from ****", cats will not jump on the mesh protrusion if it is at a 45 degree angle. they see it as an obstacle and not a platform. I saw him do one like this on one of his shows for a very small patio. This is just a pic of a larger - much larger - version.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page