Life changing move for Pete and Fred - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question Life changing move for Pete and Fred

Greetings all, happy Abe Lincoln day
...well it looks like my two 10yo males (pete and fred) will be moving to my new house soon and I'm quite concerned. Although I'm fairly sure they will adapt I'm worried a problem will migrate with the move..mainly spraying! unfortunately I've never been able to get a handle on this and I've tried almost every suggestion mentioned here over the years, I simply keep cleaning but naturally it is not the solution as many friends have mentioned.

Both pete and fred are "fixed" but fred can still spray so I'm sure pete counters with his own method, it's basically stopped me from having friends over since I'm so conscious of it even though I personally have *almost got use to the smell...sad!

I've got to find a solution for this new house (new to me) I just spent a small fortune on all new laminate and vinyl floors and I would love to show my abode to my friends. btw..I'm solo grandpa so it's getting harder for me to keep up.

Any books,links,suggestions whatever will not only be truly appreciated but
stress relieving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Cool Cat

This may sound bizarre... but did you ever take Fred to a vet to make sure his neutering was successful? I've actually heard stories of male cats who get fixed and it wasn't 100% successful so they're still getting hormones. On an episode of Jackson Galaxy's show, one cat had to be neutered a second time to make it successful and he stopped spraying! Or perhaps it's stray cats that are marking along the house that's making him want to mark?

Hopefully everyone else has great advice for you!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Cat

Paint those walls with the glossiest paint you can stand. It will make it much easier to wipe them down.

Do you have more than one litterbox? Do they have their own cat trees? If you can, divide your house as much as possible so they can have their own comfortable spaces away from each other. Cat shelves, windows to look out of, cat trees, etc. I'm sure you've heard this all before though, and hopefully someone who is more experienced with multiple cats will come along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

It was mentioned I wipe down the walls which I do or rather I have help doing would you recommend using vinegar and water? Also..I will make sure this time they both have extra separate space although they get along just fine they are also naturally territorial..my current house was somewhat smaller.
Thanks for responding to my query, at times of real need I always rely on my Catforum for help.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Cat Addict

you need an enzyme solution...found at most pet stores. and btw....your is picture.....is....GREAT!!!!! i cant tell you how many times i wanted to squish it!!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm getting someone to wipe down all appliances..need a good non toxic cleaner? then spray with enzyme solution and 2 trees, it's just me so I'll keep the one large box..all the toys and blankets and empty boxes I hope

yes it's taking me so long, it will be my last move I hope!

Last edited by marie73; 06-27-2014 at 02:51 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 AM
Premier Cat

I believe I've read that if you use an enzyme cleaner, you shouldn't use another one too. Whatever chemicals are in the first cleaner you're using may make the enzyme one ineffective. Making sure that all of the urine is completely gone might help.

I've used Nature's Miracle on top of matte paint and it seems to have worked really well, without taking any of the color off or discoloring!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:08 AM
Premier Cat

I just have to add to what Spirite said! I to, have used the Nature's Miracle, in a spray bottle, to spritz a couple places on the walls, and we have the "egg shell" low gloss, on our walls! No problems at all!
Never had a problem before with cats...
But I've got one fighting with Crystals right now...so there's been a couple of oopsies...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page