Shelter cat is obsessively cuddly to the point of aggression - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Shelter cat is obsessively cuddly to the point of aggression

Anyone ever dealt with this before? We have a shelter cat, a brown tabby in our female colony. When you enter the room she cries to be held then once you pick her up she makes her way to your neck and shoulder area and burrows in for snuggles. Normally this elicits "awww, she's so CUTE!".

Fast forward 10 minutes or so of snuggling and it's time to put kitty down. OH NO!! not having any of that! She digs in her claws and flattens herself to your shoulder hanging on for dear life. Attempts to gently peel her claws off are met with screaming and biting and snarling. REAL aggression here, not just cute clinging anymore.

I had to get help to get her off a customer yesterday. Don't mind saying she scared the **** out of me! I'm going to talk to management today. This cat should not be in the unsuspecting publics' cat colony but would like any input from ya'll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Banned

I have seen something similar, but not to this extreme. The cats in question were lap cats, but would turn aggressive and try to bite/scratch when anyone tried to pick them up to put them down off their lap. However, they were fine if the person in question simply stood up - they would just jump off - rather than trying to put them down before standing up.

I don't know about this though. Maybe she is afraid she is going to be dropped from that height. Maybe sit on the floor with her while she is cuddling and then lean way over hoping she will dislodge herself and jump to the floor rather than trying to put her down? It does sound scary though for sure and I agree she shouldn't be in the general population without a disclaimer.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Cat Addict

We have a few like that. But the most aggressive is my big black panther, Nakada, one of my favorites. He LOVES lap time attention, but when it's time to move on (in the human's opinion), Nakada will aggressively show his disagreement with the human's opinion.

I've found that instead of trying to gently pick him up to remove him from my lap or giving him a little nudge saying we're done, the far more effective way (without the scars) is to just get up. He recognizes that motion as "we're done" more than if I tell him or try to move him. I move myself. And he seems to be ok with that.

I'm sure it's a case by case thing though, how to handle these.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Cat Addict

I've known a few cats at the sanctuary like this... basically, all you can do is warn people of the cat before they get all cuddley with it. A sign on the cage maybe?

Jasper got aggressive when you'd leave the basement when he was still a little wild... he wanted attention but was still unpredictable. I was only able to spend 1-3 hours a day with him in there and he was lonely. He'd charge me at the door and block my way with his ears back, growl, swat, lunge at my legs and sink his teeth in... no game there. He needed more time with people, that was the only solution for him, but it was sort of a catch 22 since I was fearing being around him at all due to that and due to his other feral tendencies.

An understanding foster home is the best route, I'd say... it may curb a lot of the behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Cat Addict

Is she getting her claws stuck in their shirts?

Torri does exaclty what you're describing sometimes, but she gets upset when it's time to stop because her paws are stuck and she hates having them touched...maybe that's it?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM
Senior Cat

Marcia, if I lived anywhere near you, I'd take her home and work with her for you. It does sound to me as if she's undersocialized, and not just because of the aggression; her extreme need for physical affection also sounds a bit strange. I definitely think an understanding foster home is the way to go, preferably someone who has experience working with feral or semi-feral cats (we tend to have a much better idea of what to expect from a cat that is truly aggressive). Possibly someone without other cats too, as the presence of other kitties could potentially be contributing to her issues if she's insecure. Has anyone ever tried to work with this kitty on her issues? Do you know what her story is?

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 06:41 PM
Premier Cat

Both my cats are lap cats that don't want to get off my lap. Mine aren't aggressive, but Alkee does complain if I life her off. But if I say "I'm getting up now" and then slowly stand up both will get off. [
I] Maria[/I], for your brown tabby shelter female, I would have a few treats in a pocket, before I picked her up. Pet her and hold her for a while and then squat down and say something like "get down now", waft the treat under her nose and put in on floor where she can see it. If she gets down, praise her with a "good girl!" If not, sit on the floor and distract her with a toy. Hope some of these ideas work.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

The AUTHORITIES moved her to a cage from the colony and put a big disclaimer on the cage stating she needs to be handled by experienced cat people.

I like the thought that maybe it's the height. I will try the theory out with a chair behind a short stool I'm sittingon and see if she will make a small leap onto it when trying to unlatch her. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited by Marcia; 02-14-2014 at 07:38 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Senior Cat

Yes, Angelo is like that when he is on the lap. He is very demanding when he wants a lap time. I don't move/lift him when he is sleeping/sitting on me, just move away from him. He shows disagreement through bites and claws. It was worse when he was younger. I used to use treats to get him away from my lap. Lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kitties!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page