Weird smell - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Weird smell

So something really weird happened this morning.

We had just finished breakfast when all the sudden my house filled with this strange smell. It smelled horomonal, like a cross between body odor and urine, but not like any urine I've ever smelled before. Intensely strong but no ammonia smell. My cats FREAKED out.

They started sniffing the air frantically and tracking down the origin. They couldn't get enough, almost like how they act when they smell catnip. They all 4 ended up on the kitchen table (even my oldest, and she usually ignores everything around her) sniffing the wall up near the ceiling. This went on for about 25 minutes until the scent began to fade. It was erie.

I know the obvious answer is that an animal of some sort sprayed the outside of the house and the smell penetrated. But what kind of animal would excite them this way? This was NOT a male cat spraying, I know that smell (unfortunately) and its not that.

That end of my house is partly underground and the celing is low. I attached a picture but you cant really see how frantic they were. They even knocked over the fruit bowl.

If anybody has an idea what kind of animal would freak them out like this please let me know. id love to find a repellant to prevent it from coming back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0876.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	47914  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 05:35 PM
Premier Cat

Loopyscats,
I think with what you and cats experienced, esp. the cats sniffing UP towards the ceiling, you should call in an exterminator...
Things like raccoons will get into attics, ceilings...
As cute as they are, they carry quite a few different diseases and they stink! They will chew wires causing fires etc.
You do not want a family of them moving in!
Raccoons go up into a house.
Skunks go under a house.
The cold drives many animals to find warmer places...
Just a thought...

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with 10cats2dogs, be proactive and have an exterminator check things out......this is breeding time of the year for racoons, possums, and squirrels.....that like to find a home high in your house and will look for any hole or make one to get into an attic.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:38 PM
Cat Addict

and if you get a "nest" of racoons or possums....oh boy.....enough feces droppings can be toxic
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Premier Cat

We had a rat problem years ago and we set traps in the attic. One got caught but not enough to kill it and it crawled then fell between the wall board studs right down to the kitchen wall. Oh boy, it was August, the hottest time of the year here and it STUNK to high heaven for weeks! Gradually the stink became less and less but then the flies started coming, then more flies and more and more. Auck! It was AWFUL. The whole thing went on for almost 3 months - just a cycle of stink then swarming huge meat eating black flies. We now tie the traps to rafters so they can't crawl far if they get trapped.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Cat Addict

Dead rat smells terrible... there was this time my father caught a rat in a trap and put it in the car for some unknown reason ... then left the car in the parking.lot while we were at the cabin. Oh boy... when we drove home with our heads out the window and the smell lingered for weeks. The spray we tried to neutralize it somehow interacted with it to make it smell WORSE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 12:35 AM
Cat

How weird! And I agree - get an exterminator into your home ASAP.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

Our home belongs to Hera, Zeus, and Athena.
And there are some humans here too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page