Can I put my kitten in a mesh playpen over night? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Can I put my kitten in a mesh playpen over night?

I have just recently got a kitten, I already have a 2 year old male cat Oscar and a 4 year old dog Tia. I think that Bella the kitten is far too small to be left roaming downstairs over nights whilst I am asleep. I have open plan living, kitchen and dining so everywhere is open.

I feel cruel when I think I will be putting her in the playpen but I know it is the safest option. I am just worried in case she can becomes too distressed or something happens to her.

I want to do what is best for her. It is a large mesh playpen I can fit all her litter tray, water, food, bed and toys in it however she does climb the sides but it is a closed pen.

Will she be ok? Has anyone done this before I wake up early so she will be in it approx 8 hours a night just whilst she is young. I am taking time to integrate her with the other animals as I wish to make sure that they are all safe and happy.

Regards

Maria.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 AM
Senior Cat

Sounds fine to me. We do this all the time at the pet store I work at where we house adoptable animals. If two cats are fighting in the cage, we put one in the huge mesh playpen with food, water, a bed, toys and litter pan overnight.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Tom Cat

I'd be worried about her getting stuck on the side from her trying to climb up it if her nails snag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:21 AM
Cat Addict

she would be with ME, in a carrier or something...but with me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroraei View Post
I'd be worried about her getting stuck on the side from her trying to climb up it if her nails snag.
Easy solution: cut her nails.

We do this to our kittens and they never snag on the sides no matter how much they scratch.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Kitten

I did this with my kitten before I was comfortable with him roaming around on his own at night. Honestly, he seemed fine. I lined the pen with a blanket and put some toys in with him, along with litter, food, and water. He would romp around and play with the toys when I first put him in, and eventually he would fall asleep on the blanket.

It also gave me peace of mind knowing that he was separated from the other two cats when I couldn't be there to supervise. And that he wasn't running around pooping everywhere (I had a bad experience with him running around the living room while pooping at the same time the second time I let him explore with the other 2 cats). He ended up turning out just fine though!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auroraei View Post
That was my first thought, too. No experience with this, just a gut feeling.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the advice everyone. I put her in last night at 10 and came down at 7 and she was fine. Just spilt water bless her

I will be doing this on a nightly basis as it is definite peace of mind knowing she is safe. Until she is older.

I was worried about her claws but she seems fine .

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Will my cat get along with my new kitty?

I have a 2 year old male cat who actually thinks that he is a baby. However I have just got a female kitten and they accidentally got next to each other today as one of the kitchen doors was left open. The kitten just started hissing at Oscar and then Oscar started kind of sounded like howling almost??

Is this normal behaviour or should I be worried when they first have contact? I have a kitty pen but I saw the way they were today with each other and I am really worried they will not get along.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Maria

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Kitten

I've only had to introduce one kitten to two other cats in my lifetime, so I'm not the best person to be giving advice. However, when my kitten came in contact with my other cats for the first time, they hissed at each other and my other 2 cats were not happy. One of my cats (who's 4 years old now) warmed up to the kitten after a week or two and they started playing together, which they still do all the time. The other cat (who is much older than the other two) got used to him, too, but they don't get along as well as the other one does.
I let them see each other in small doses over a couple of weeks, and eventually they got used to it. So I would just give it some time and see if they adjust to each other. I would get some advice from others though, because like I said, I've only had to do this one time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page