Cat Forum banner

Kitten driving me bonkers!!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  10cats2dogs 
#1 ·
So a couple weeks ago I was offered a kitten and I said NO.....unless you have a little black boy. So I got a ten week old kitten a couple weeks ago. We instantly fell madly in love.

Since I had recently switched the other cats to raw I decided to feed him that too. He took to that quickly and over the last week has started DEMANDING more chunks of food and refusing the other cats raw mix. He wants to chew it himself. Finding foods that he wants is challenging but I am handling it so far. Although I am looking forward to getting him eating about four times a day cause every 2-3 hours is tiring.

Another issue that I have is he is clingy. I work from home and I have to lock him in the bathroom so I can get anything done. He has also taken to leaping from anywhere he is to climb or land on my shoulder. While this is sweet and I love him, his claws are sharp and it hurts. I have bought toys and play with him and this is fine but it doesn't give me much time afterwards cause he has to be back on me. I am fine with being walked on in my sleep and frequent short breaks to entertain him but I can't entertain him constantly. I love spoiling him but I need to use my hands and keyboard for work.

I will be getting a break next week cause he is going to spend the day at the vets for his necessary alterations.

Any good interactive cat toys that are recommended out there? I tried a mouse that runs across the floor but the dogs ate it.

I am getting his sister this weekend to hopefully help distract him. I am also working on adding more cat shelves.

Any other ideas would be helpful.

Thank you,
Sil

See less See more
#2 ·
Kittens will be kittens is all I can say! Full of energy and affection, I would take advantage of it while you can! My boy Ozzy was like that as a kitten, then grew up to prefer his own space and no cuddles!

It sounds like you might just need to tire him out so he won't have so much energy to spend pouncing on you every few minutes :) I use a flyer toy, which is a plush toy attached to string on a stick. Minimal effort on your half, just sit there and wave it back and forth while he runs around chasing it!
Sometimes if I have something to do I put the stick in a gap on the sofa or bed, and my two cats often just play with it for a while!

#3 ·
Do you have any cat trees? I have two cat trees by windows... and they are the BEST investment I've ever made! My cats, even my kitten, Tootsie, will just sit and look out the window for hours. They also love playing on them together, scratching the posts, running up and down and all around. It really helps burn energy and the window keeps them so entertained. Instant babysitter!

Mine are from eBay and Amazon and were both below $99. The eBay one is their favorite, though, and is also the cheapest! Cat Tree 80" Condo Furniture Scratching Post Pet Cat Kitten House High Quality | eBay

But yes, getting his sister will probably be the biggest help. When I first got Ellie as a kitten... she drove me insane because she was bored and alone (but I also didn't have enough for her to do then). But when I brought our new kitten Tootsie home... they both became angels. They rough-house with eachother, so all I get is the sweet, cuddly, nice moments! I am no longer a toy, and Tootsie has been THE easiest kitten ever since she has Ellie as a companion. It is so refreshing. I could never, ever imagine getting just one kitten again!

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I ordered a big ol "cat gym" for a spot in front of the big window in the living room. I already had a tall on in the bedroom (cat only room) and think I want to replace it with the one that was posted.

Since getting his sister things have gotten much easier for me. I have only had to scruff him and remove him from my backside, as he is trying to climb up to perch on my shoulder, three times so far today. I don't mind him wanting to be up on my shoulder but invitation only please, my skin is not for climbing thank you.

I already had a plethora of wand toys which are necessary for folding laundry at my house. I had even put a couple under my seat cushion on my office chair to dangle and offer play toys but that only helped a little. Other dangle toys around the house were fine as long as I was there making them move. The dogs ate the battery operated mouse. I think more climbing stuff is the answer.

Grace, his sister is a little tortie angel. This is the first time in fifteen years that I have taken on a kitten. I usually get older cats that are out of the kitten stage. If I knew that 2 was going to be so much easier than one I don't think I would have stayed away from kittens all these years. Even being woken up with the two of them wrestling on top of me wasn't bad at all. Much nicer than a 70+ lb wiggle ox.

I think they are doing much better with each other and I don't think I would mind getting pairs of kittens again. Guess they are not much different from puppies in that area.

Thank you,

#5 ·
Are your dogs OK? Did they eat the batteries? Batteries can cause severe damage internally!

Glad some things are starting to work out with the kitties now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.