Clean litter storage? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Clean litter storage?

Ok, I've got a bit of a problem because my cat, G, is a notorious chewer. He is known for chewing plastic and paper, especially. Lately, I have found he gnawed a hole in the plastic bag of cat litter (Dr. Elsey's) and has caused a messy leak before in my closed bedroom closet. Currently, the bag is in a cardboard box, but he can smell the clean litter, and of course, has gnawed on the cardboard corners as well. Ugh! I don't think he actually eats the plastic, I find little vampire fang holes all over, and believe he rips it open after enough gnawing. I'm pretty paranoid about his pica habits, and have been to an e-vet once for a possible ingestion of threads from a terry cloth towel after scratching it up (but it turns out he was ok, thank goodness). Sigh. I'm currently using bitter apple spray on whatever I find he's chewing on, btw, and it has curbed it a bit, but he's retorted to chewing other things, obviously.

I need to find a container that will hold 40 lbs+ of clumping clay litter at a time because I usually buy a new bag before it runs too low, and I like to stock up so I don't worry. However, owning cats, one finds nothing is really a "safe spot" anymore from them! G has been able to get into my closet, and even my upper kitchen cupboard before and knock a pasta jar down! Again, thankfully, it did not shatter on the floor and cause any mess or injury to Maya who was looking up from down below.

So, long story short, I'm asking what do you guys put your clean litter in for storage? Or do you? Any ideas? I need to find something quick before he attempts more gnawing on the box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Cat Addict

A large plastic container with a tight fitting lid, like a rubbermaid container or closable trash can?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Premier Cat

TC,
I second what Jeff says!
I use a couple of plastic containers, that had Tidy Cat litter in them originally, I just refill with the litter I use for them!
In your case with "G" a tight fitting lid will be a necessity, it sounds like!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Doh! Yes I should've thought of that, lol. Guess that happens when one is sleep deprived?

I do have an extra plastic tub, unfortunately I don't know what I did with the lid! Ugh, guess I'll be hunting for that after I get home from work tonight. Or go out hunting for a suitable box. Maybe something with casters so it's easier to transfer the litter?

G seems to chew on things when he's bored or wanting my attention, so hopefully all he does tonight is sleep til I get home.

Thanks Jeff and Sharon!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Premier Cat

I bought a rolling dog food storage container from Petsmart for my pine pellets. It's air tight for dog food - the clamp is pretty secure. It holds over 40 pounds. I like that it is on wheels - BUT the side result is most of the toys in the Happy Room get under it and drive the foster kittens nuts trying to retrieve them. This is also what we use at Petsmart for the cats there. We put the clumping litter in it and have a large scoop for it as well.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh I really like that idea, Marcia. I'm just worried it'll hold all that heavy litter without bending/breaking the bottoms if it has wheels and thus elevated, lol. But a large scoop is a plus, too! I wouldn't mind toys getting under it, it's one less place from the dreaded fridge and if it comes with casters, the toys will be easily retreived.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Premier Cat

You don't HAVE to put the wheels on - I prefer it because I can roll it around to clean in and around it. My rooms needs cleaning often so the wheels are more of a convenience for me but you don't have to put them on.

Also, check Home Depot, Lowes and some of the other big box stores for similar storage boxes. I bought my scoop from Amazon. It's metal and HUGE.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page