Spraying my Christmas Tree - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Spraying my Christmas Tree

I have a 9 month old kitty and he hasn't been neutered yet. Up until last night he has never sprayed anything and now he keeps spraying the tree or eating it. (Fake tree) We are going to be getting him fixed but we have to wait til we get our tax money back. He doesn't seem to be spraying anything else other then the tree. Please help...Is there a way to stop him or hold him off til March? Is there something I can put on the tree to keep him away? Is he mad at the tree? We moved from PA to FL in Sept and was told he would be mad and display this behavior then but was fine with the move. However we did change his litter but seems to like it and go to the bathroom with no problems. I'm a 1st time cat owner. Help

Click image for larger version

Name:	10452394_10152616901193498_1210125464995645192_n.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	77578

Name:	10177224_10152865433918498_8493797834044597300_n.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	77586

Name:	1017525_10152569468228498_7298847943245837120_n.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	77594
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Premier Cat

No and at his age you are looking at the possibility of this becoming habit. Once that happens he may not stop once neutered. He should have been altered 4 or 5 months ago.

I would not wait until March, I would beg, borrow and ask for gift cards to a vet as Christmas present.

At the very least I'd leave the tree up and let him use it, then pray when I threw it away after he's neutered I'd he doesn't move to something else.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Premier Cat

I wouldn't wait either. Unaltered cat's urine can be even more profoundly odiferous than those that are fixed. Not only that, unfixed male toms are also high risks for escape (they will use amazing skills to do so) and likely venture further out away from home, get into fights, be injured, and even get disease. There are also health benefits to getting cats spayed and neutered early. I would venture out to seek a low cost spay/neuter program in your area today, and advise you don't delay!

FIND YOUR COUNTY
Clinic Directory - Spay Florida, a statewide Low Cost Spay Neuter referral service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Cat Addict

Ditto the posts above. 9 months is late and a year Simba will be set on a path that could be very stressful for you and him to get off. Seriously this is a simple operation esp for a male and should not be that expensive either. Money well worth spending for all of you
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba'smomma View Post
Is he mad at the tree? We moved from PA to FL in Sept and was told he would be mad and display this behavior then but was fine with the move. However we did change his litter but seems to like it and go to the bathroom with no problems. I'm a 1st time cat owner. Help
Cats don't do things because they are JUST mad. It is not how they think. Like the others have said. He is now sexually mature. Getting him fixed should help. As long a you do not wait long enough for it to become a habit. Also it will take a bit of time once he is fixed for the hormones to work out of his system. Like MowMow said. keep the tree for now and hope he doesn't transfer to something else.

BTW toss the tree afterward!!!

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 12-13-2014 at 02:45 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Premier Cat

Yeah, 'mad' is a human emotion. Cat's don't feel it. They can feel stressed or anxious and display behavioral issues, but that's not what this is. Your boy is in the equivalent to full blown puberty.

This needs to be dealt with ASAP.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all for your replies. We are going to be keeping the tree up and We will try and come up with the money sooner to get him altered. He has only sprayed maybe 3 or 4 times so far so maybe we could have caught it early.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 PM
Cool Cat

Like everyone else said... no, there's nothing to do to make him stop. And yes... this could become a habit the longer you leave him unneutered, which a cat who sprays everywhere is not something you want. Which is why neutering at the appropriate age is so important.

Have you looked up low cost spay/neuter options in your area? Most shelters will spay/neuter for incredibly cheap with proof of income - in my area, as low as $10. My cousin is low-income and got her cat fully fixed and vaccinated for $30 total from a local non-kill shelter. Also, there are many spay/neuter clinics whose sole purpose is to provide low-cost spay/neutering. I got my Tootsie fixed at an incredible spay/neuter clinic for $90, which included her spay, pain meds, and her Rabies shot. Males are even cheaper, since the surgery is less invasive.

Last edited by marie73; 12-13-2014 at 05:15 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Premier Cat

Here are some places to try that are local to you.
Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinics
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Premier Cat

Simba'smomma,
Something else you'll need to do, is get a good enzymatic cleaner/de-scenter, like Nature's Miracle Intense urine remover or Fission (sp.?) to go all over the area that he's been spraying....even though he's been spraying the tree, there's going to be spray over and drips!

If you're in the States, check into getting a Care Credit card, it's used for medical things, dentistry, eye wear...AND veterinary services!!
It's a very good backup to have!
Good Luck, he's Adorable looking!!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page