Transporting kitty for the holidays? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Transporting kitty for the holidays?

I'm leaving NYC to go home to Maryland for the holidays on Friday, and won't be back until Jan 4th. Amtrak doesn't have pet accommodations (and hasn't since 1976!), and I can't find any bus service that allows pets. I can't find anyone in NYC who will be able to watch him for me (they're all going home too), and obviously, I'm not going to leave kitty by himself for 16 days.

So: Any suggestions on how I can get transport him home to MD from NYC, besides driving (my car is in MD) or flying? With over 50% of Americans owning pets, I know I can't be the only one in this dilemma; yet I can't seem to find any way to accomplish this, and it's seriously upsetting me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Premier Cat

I'd switch your search for a petsitter. I'm sure there is an abundance of good petsitters in NYC with references. I'd book it NOW though because I bet their slammed for the holidays.

A cat would be easy for them, one or two trips a day to feed, clean the box, and play with them for a few minutes. They can probably slip you in.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My roommates (one of whom works freelance in film, the other of whom is a musician) both have too much expensive equipment in our apartment for them to be comfortable with a stranger coming and going (both have been stolen from in the past). Even if it's an accredited service, both are still squeamish about the prospect. :-/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Premier Cat

I guess you could rent a car one way then drive your car back... or rent another car one way for the return trip.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 03:18 AM
Cat Addict

I guess you could look for a cattery, sort of like a pet hotel, for your kitty, if you can't find anyone trustworthy to catsit in your home. Might be booked, however, considering a lot of folks travel during the holidays. This is why I keep close contacts of friends with kitties, so we can exchange favors. I don't travel much, so my friend buys me dinners, etc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Cat Addict

Wow Cinnamon you cutting this fine. Its Tuesday now and you go Friday. I think the above posters have given you your only options. Personally at this stage I would take the car rental option. I would assume that by now all the great petsitting companies and catteries will be full. Also now you won't have much time to check references and I for sure would want to have checked it out and got these before leaving my fur babies with anyone. Good luck.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
I guess you could rent a car one way then drive your car back... or rent another car one way for the return trip.
I second this. I've rented a car with my dog traveling and they had no issue. If you rent and return it in the same day, it shouldn't be expensive at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

This is a post you made on Dec 19th LAST YEAR. Looks like you pretty much copied it for your post this year. You had the same problem last year, one would think you would have planned ahead this year. Thread closed because this feels more like trolling than a real problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon16 View Post
I'm a first time cat owner (since December 10th--took in a very friendly stray that was found in my friend's backyard), and so far, everything has been delightful.

However, I'm leaving NYC to go home to Maryland for the holidays tomorrow, and won't be back until Jan 5th. Being new to all this, I just assumed that Amtrak had pet accommodations...imagine my surprise when I found out that hadn't been offered since 1976! And I can't find any bus service that allows pets.

So: Any suggestions on how I can get him home, besides driving (my car is in MD) or flying? If I leave him up here, he'll be alone for a week, and without me for a whole 16 days. I worry that after only having him for 10 days thus far, our bond will be weakened.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page