What is He Doing? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Talking What is He Doing?

Ok. I have no idea if anyone has this issue. Actually, I am not sure it IS an issue, just weird.
My Odd is a big boy, I mean, big, about 18 lbs. Since it is now the two of us, he is being given less food. 1/2 cup of dry and a heaping tablespoon of wet per day. He gets half the dry in the am and gets the wet and other half of the dry at 8 pm.
The issue? In the morning he follows me into the kitchen and gets in the way when i put out the food. Then he flops down and stares at me and meows. he does this for about 5 minutes each morning before finally eating some food. I swear it is like he is doing it because he is hoping to wait me out for the wet food.
Another issue with my boy is bed time. He knows my schedule. If I am not getting ready for bed on time,he will herd me towards the bedroom. Then, despite having been played with for a good 20 minutes before hand, the nuttiness ensues. He manages to do a fairly good imitation of a herd of thundering wildabeasts all by himself. He races in and out of the bedroom jumping on the bed, using my hip or stomach for a launching pad. He races around the entire apartment for a good hour after I go to bed. I have been hurt more than once by him landing on me with claws out.
Shutting him out of the bedroom won't work because he head butts it and throws his body against the door and yeowls. I live in an apartment now and don't want complaints from the neighbors.
Any ideas? Clues? Any suggestions on both food and bed time fronts? Or am I just living with a furry lunatic and that's it?
Any helpful suggestions welcome!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Tom Cat

I would say give him more wet food and less dry. If he likes the wet better, that is better for him. If you are trying to slim him down check to see if there is a lower calorie wet food than what you are currently using.

Bed time my only suggestion is to wear him out even more. If 20 min is not enough try 30. and make sure it is something that really does wear him out. Maybe experiment with different toys like Da Bird or a laser to get him romping around even more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks. Unfortunately budget wise he has to stick to one serving of wet a day. The dry is calorie reduced and one of his favorite flavors, he likes the sea food flavors. And his night time play is going to get increased, I am tired of being used for a launch pad, lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Cat

Maybe try making his breakfast into a game? I used to toss pieces of dry kibble one by one to let my cats chase them, in order to entice them to eat it... This way the kibble seemed like a 'treat.'
As for the playing before bed... Definitely sounds like an increase in play time is needed! You can also try toys that encourage 'self-play' for afterwards... My favorite is a toy that I can put several treats or pieces of kibble in, and then the cats have to figure out how to get the tasty stuff out. On a budget, toys like that can be made at home out of recycled materials!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Premier Cat

skyrun, I used to do the same. It's a great way to get a kitty to exercise. I'd skitter one piece of kibble at a time across the kitchen floor. Margaux would treat each piece like a new piece of prey. Occasionally, she'd bat at a piece, and it would ricochet off things, so she'd be chasing one way then another. Hugely entertaining for both of us.

OddThomas, try holding back some of his 8 pm. feeding and giving it after you've played and before you go to bed. That might content him enough to go to sleep instead of being a furry pinball.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

A furry pinball, I like that, lol. I will try that. Maybe dry food at 8 pm, playtime as usual before bed, and then wet food, then I go to bed, I will work something out. Last night was extra nuts, he almost landed on my HEAD!
Maybe him having food to eat while I get ready to go to bed will calm him down a bit, I don't know. But, I will try. Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Cat

I think my cat is related to your cat...lol....He's a herder too...even if I play with him later at night...come bed time.....He acts like I'm a sheep when I walk upstairs....running around...biting my legs...jumping on the bed....jumping on me in the bed....He has done it since he was about a year or so old....Its crazy...probably some sort of dominant aggression thing.....at least that's what I've always thought.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page