My cat attacks my legs when I won't let him do what he wants to - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My cat attacks my legs when I won't let him do what he wants to

I've had a cat for 2 years. He was a stray that I took in so I don't know how old he is or anything. But I have two other cats who he fights with so I have to keep them separate. I kind of have to explain to you guys how the layout is really quick- My basement is finished but has two doors on either end that go out into the unfinished part. So I have the other cats on one half of my basement, and to get in there I have to go out one door, through the furnace room, and then go in the other door. So anyway, my other cat tries to get into the door when I try to come back out (when I go in he's too preoccupied with the other cats through the gate to try to follow me in). So anyway, when I come back out, if I close the door quick enough for him to not get in, he gets really annoyed and attacks my legs. It's a really narrow hallway, so I can't pass him without him lunging at my legs, holding on with both front legs, and basically chewing on me. If I'm wearing my boots and he realizes that he's not hurting me, he jumps higher so that he's biting my flesh. So it's like he's deliberately trying to hurt me when he does this. He can bite hard enough to draw blood. He'll keep lunging at me no matter how many times I tell him to stop, until I finally get up the courage to run past him. Why does he do this? I know he gets all worked up about the other cats, but then he takes his aggression out on me, and does it in a way that seems like he's trying to hurt me; not just attacking mindlessly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:04 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Krista,

I want to understand something here...it sounds like all your cats are living downstairs, is that correct? I understand keeping them seperate, but I think your stray doesn't like being confined to one part of the basement. Seems that way with most strays in threads I've been reading, for the most part. Is there any reason why your cats can't come upstairs? I think most kitties do not like being shut off from any part of a house, including my own 2. They must have access to my closet, for example, so I've given up keeping my bedroom closet closed, and same with my bedroom & bathroom doors (just keep the toilet lid covered). You may also just want to swap the cats around and "rotate" them to different parts of your home at different times so it's equal access to all.

If your stray likes interactive toys, your kitty may just need to burn off some excess energy after being in an enclosed room for so long. I know I wouldn't like to be couped up by myself if all I've ever known was being outside, free to go wherever I wanted.

I don't have experience with strays, though, so hopefully someone with more experience can help you through this better!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat

No, Only the other cats are separate with each other in the finished part of the basement. the one who attacks my legs is allowed through the whole house. He just likes to go down there to try to get into the room with the other cats (it's not a small room, just to clarify that, too). I just got them after I had him, so I had them separate, but it hasn't worked out yet (even though they can interact through a gate and I try to let them all be together every once in a while).
He's generally a very good cat. He wasn't feral- I think he was dumped by previous owners because he's generally very good with people. It's just that he gets really intense when I try to keep him from getting into the room with the other cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Premier Cat

Well, he might be attacking you due to redirected aggression. Cats are naturally territorial, so he can't get to them and you're the closest thing, unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page