Adding another Cat Advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Adding another Cat Advice

Hiya all,
As i've posted in here before I found my loved Feadan who was 15, passed suddenly when i came home from work in Sept and my other cat Midnight was with him until I came home.

Midnight seems to be coping okayish.. He has become much more clingy,needy and affectionate.
I am still missing Feadan and the uniqueness of his vibrant and very cuddly and outgoing personality ..

Not sure I'm ready for it yet but wondering what others thoughts are about adding another furry friend for Midnight for company.Is there a right time?. I got Midnight the year after I got Feadan so he is 14yrs old.

Any and all opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

At 14 years old, Midnight has earned his position as King of the house now. Personally, I wouldn't add another cat, I would enjoy his newly increased affection.

You should only add another cat if you want one.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:55 AM
Premier Cat

Kaylesh, I'm in a similar situation. My remaining kitty is 14.5 years old, skittish, timid, and a love bunny, so I didn't think she'd deal well with a new kitty. I thought she'd just love having me to herself. While the loss was very recent, what she's showing me so far is that she really doesn't like being alone. But I don't want to act too quickly, so I'm just waiting.

There's never any way for us to know how interactions will play out between any two given cats, but in general, is Midnight a kitty who gets along well with other kitties?

From a purely selfish perspective, the idea of losing Celia and have no kitties here positively terrifies me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Midnight has always been a rather skittish cat, he was and is always the one who hides if someone he doesn't know comes to visit.. Never was much of a lap cat,not a snuggly love bunny prior to Feadan's death. Not one of those cats you could pick up and just snuggle with likes attention and affection on his terms.
So his behavioiur now is a changed behaviour since his best bud died. They often would snuggle and sleep together and play together..
Since I am away all day at work they also kept each other company, and now when i come home Midnight spends a good ten to 15 minutes "talking" to me this is also a new post losing Feadan behaviour.
So these are the things that make me think he is lonely after being used to having his buddy around all the time to keep him company.
I'm just wanting him to be happy and not let my emotions/feelings cloud my judgement. So that is why I'm looking for outsiders opinions
If i did think of getting him a buddy it would for sure be a rescue cat needing a home as there are too many unwanted cats in rescues.

Again thanks for any input /ideas/feelings
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Senior Cat

Give him a little time to adjust! Adding another cat to give him a buddy could just as likely backfire as it could turn out well, especially with him being such an older fellow. You could end up stressing him out because he doesn't like the new addition and he may be better off alone, not every buddy is the same, especially for cats. Just because Midnight loved Feadan's company doesn't mean he'll like another cats company, he could end up strongly disliking any other cat you add in.

If you're only considering another cat for Midnight's sake, then I agree with Marie, I wouldn't add another to the mix just yet. Let Midnight relax through his golden years, no need to stress him out with introductions. Trust me when I say, he's probably sleeping almost 100% of the time you are away. Revel in his newfound attention and just enjoy each others company instead of stressing yourselves out trying to add a new cat into the mix!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Tom Cat

It's hard to say what would be best for midnight. As others have mentioned, it may be too stressful to introduce a new cat. Then again, sometimes a new buddy can distract him and make the grieving process shorter and easier on him. One of my dogs passed away traumatically about 2 weeks ago and just before this happened I brought in a new foster dog. One of my other dogs was grieving as the one who passed basically raised him and they were very close friends. The foster dog has been distracting him by playing and bringing him happiness during a very sad time. This was not planned, I had no idea what sadness would fall upon this household. I guess things happen for a reason.

An option could be to wait until he settles and either becomes his usual self or when he seems to not be grieving so bad. Maybe you can then foster an older calm cat and see how they get on. The good things about fostering is if it's not a good match, another home will be found for the foster.

I am so sorry about your loss. Never easy to let them go.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for all the advice so far.
As I said I'm not ready for another cat for myself yet.
I'm thinking along the lines of those that have said give Midnight more time and see how things go.
Just never had two that had been together for that many years and have one of them pass so was looking for suggestions on those that have been in a similar situation..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Premier Cat

You have to go about this carefully. Feadan was a one-of-a-kind cat. You need another one-of-a-kind cat. Both Midnight's feelings and yours have to be considered. Do you want another black/ primarily black cat? Sorry for your loss.

You can never tell how these things will go. Maybe a young cat would be the perfect pal for you and him! I mean something DIFFERENT...

Last edited by bluemilk; 12-20-2014 at 02:46 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Cat Addict

I also agree to go slowly.

When YOU feel ready, I would look around and find a place that does foster to adopt. Basically foster a few laid back Cats until the right one clicks with your current cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page