New to this forum. - behavior issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

New to this forum. - behavior issues

Hi Everyone & Happy Holiday:

I'm new to this site and we've adopted last September a beautiful 7 week kitten. She is by far the sweetest cat I've ever known. However, one slight little problem regarding my children. Should I proceed here or go to the behavior forum?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Feel free to hop on over to the Behavior section.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

For some reason it won't let me post a new thread.

Basically, out kitten, now a year old is wonderful. Adopted at 7 weeks (i hated cats); had a bad one growing up. Well, she must have sensed that and is great. Sleeps with me every night from the beginning under my chin (poor hubby); lays with me everytime I sit down. Will sleep when I put her up on my 9 year bunk bed; sleeps with my six year old. Very calm. However, lately just in the mornings she stalks my 9 year old., don't know why. But, if she's not paying attention Kit-Kat will strike her (to bite her legs); only in the mornings while she's getting dressed???? I used to think because I forgot to put her up on the bunk - maybe she was mad or something. But, she still does to the point we keep a spray bottle in the bedroom in the am. Yesterday, for the very first time she jumped at the face of my six year old?? Not sure why but she also kept following her around to jump at her. All the body tension with the brights eyes. I again sprinkled water on her to break her focus??? Why is my sweet little girl doing this? Thank you very much!!!
Lisa

Last edited by marie73; 12-19-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Banned

First of all, ditch the spray bottle. That will make her do it more, not less. She will see that negative things happen to her when she is around the kids and she will like them less and less. How do the kids interact with her when she is not stalking them? If you want to break her focus, do it with a positive association like a special treat that she only gets in the morning when the kids are getting ready.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:42 PM
Tom Cat

I would have her in another room while your child is getting dressed and do the positive association when she is calm and not in a stalking mood.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 AM
Banned

Actually the whole point is to make the positive association with the child present, perhaps even with the child giving the treat.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Lisa,

Your kitty may not have learned proper social etiquette and behavior since you got her so young (7wks), and it seems like she may be biting/nipping at your child because she views your child as a playmate. Most cats have the most energy at dawn and dusk, so the way I'd go about with your situation is providing enough active playtime to the point she is exhausted and panting and simply cannot run or chase, and must lie on her side. The best interactive toy to get is "da bird" or similar wand toys, or even a laser. You'll need to be consistent and maybe do it a few times a day, lasting at least 20 minutes each play session. After a play session, you can allow your child to provide set meals to your kitty, or be the one to give her the treats. As Heather mentioned already, this will provide positive associations with your child and your kitty. Also, remember to never play with your hands or feet with the kitty, always use a toy instead. If you still continue to see your kitty "attack" your child, I'd see if I was also reading her body language correctly, too. Some cats just get overstimulated and if you don't realize it, the cat's only way to get you to stop it is by lashing out abruptly.

Hope it's not the case, though, but it might help if you looked up "reading cat's body language" online, too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Senior Cat

Yeah to me sounds like a wound up kitten in need of some play time. Doesn't sound like she doesn't like your daughter, just sounds like she really wants to play and doesn't know how to go about it properly. I'd get some sort of wand toy like TabbCatt mentioned and try an intense playtime in the morning when she's all wound up like this. Use a toy to distract her, not a squirt bottle. Distract her and tire her out with a toy, and you'll probably see less of this pent up energy and her trying to pounce on your daughter! That's how my three year old cat gets when he's really wound up, he starts jumping at my legs and gets really big eyes and starts running around. He's just wound up, and needs an outlet, and he views me as his play buddy so I'm the one he usually pounces at and stalks.

Remember she is a kitten and she's got a ton of energy, just like your kids. How old is she now? When you got her, she was still a little baby, but now she's in full kitten mode and is a ball of fluffy energy. Try to find a proper outlet for her energy like a toy, instead of your daughter and tire her out, it should calm her down!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Premier Cat

Play time is needed here! This is the best interactive cat toy in the world!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 AM
Tom Cat

Yup, play play play! She is at her most active in the morning and is doing what she would be doing to her own siblings, if she had any. Stalking and jumping at them to get them to chase her.
If you incorporate a heavy play session it will serve both sides in that she's getting her positive attention and she is not associating anything negative to your children which is what you are actually enforcing with the spraying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page