Take Isa or Leave Her at Home - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Take Isa or Leave Her at Home

I just got back from a week long vacation a few days ago. I had a friend come over and play with, feed, and water Isa every day. My friend said she seemed ok, was cuddly and enjoyed her play sessions.

Since I've gotten home though, Isa will not leave more than a foot of space between us, she wants to be touching me at all times and meows a lot whenever I leave. Clearly she missed me...my problem is...I need to be gone for another week (5 days) to my parents house for the holidays.

It is about a two and a half hour drive and my parents are ok with me bringing her. They have no other pets so it would just be her. She loves my parents...whenever they come to visit she is in their laps for petting and drags toys to them for them to play with her.

However, I have read that traveling stresses cats out and generally isn't advised unless absolutely necessary. And that cats are territorial so changing that up stresses them too.

So I guess my question is...do I leave her at home again or do I take her with? I have left her for three days before without issue but it seems a week is just a little too long. And two weeks so close together is a lot of alone time (she is a very social cat...any time someone comes to the door she is over investigating and she always is in the same room as me).

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 AM
Tom Cat

I would take her with me. Maybe you can take short breaks to play with you and have her on a harness to get out of the car every now and again on the trip.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Cat Addict

some cats travel well. Things to consider. Is she used to car trips? do you know if she gets a sensitive tummy on trips? One of my cats gets sick on long trips. the rest always did well. so something for a bad tummy would help. Plus wipe just in case.

Personally I wouldn't take a cat out of the carrier for 2.5 hour trip, but drive through. as a panicked kitty can and will shed a harness.
Most cats won't use the litter pan in that time anyway.

Do NOT give a tranquilizer!! but spray the carrier with a calming hormone.

You should easily find plenty in the threads on traveling with a cat. It is a frequently asked question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBlack View Post
Personally I wouldn't take a cat out of the carrier for 2.5 hour trip, but drive through. as a panicked kitty can and will shed a harness.
All this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I just took her on a twenty minute trip to the vet a few weeks ago...she meowed for a few minutes and then settled down in her carrier. She was then fine until we got to the stop lights in town...she didn't think much of those and let me know it. fortunately there are only two stoplights I'd hit on the drive to my parents so I think we would be ok there. She seems to be ok stomach-wise, at least for a 20 minute drive.

I have read all kinds of tips for cat travel...and I will re-read some too. I just wanted to make sure it was really a good decision and not just the one that "I" wanted, if that makes sense.

I think she is rather adaptable...I didn't know I was supposed to keep her in one room for awhile when I brought her home so she could adjust...she had the full run of the house from the beginning and never seemed scared or skittish or anything, just curious. Have never had any litter box issues at all...only time she missed was because one of her shots gave her diarrhea and she didn't quite make it...her front paws were in. And then she meowed until I came with a towel so she could clean her paws.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Since your parents don't have any other pets I would take her. You'll never know how she'll do unless you try. If she does OK you will probably find that it gets easier the more often you take her.

I definitely would not take her out of the carrier during a couple hour trip...that will likely stress her more and provide the opportunity for escape.

My first cat Onyx was an only cat and she went all kinds of places with me. We'd go to my parents house about twice a month (an hour drive each way). To NJ a couple times a year. And then to Florida when my parents moved.

She would remember each place she went and when she got there she'd go looking for her litterbox and food dish in the places they were the last time...and meow at me until I set them up. She might not eat or use the box right away, but once she knew they were in place she was happy and would go find a comfy spot to hang out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Premier Cat

I'd take her. We used to take Mocha to visit my parents regularly and that was a 4 hour drive each way. She was a treat in the car...plopped right down and didn't move a whisker (she wasn't a treat to get INTO the car though!)

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Cat Addict

Since she seems to travel well and your parents have no other pets I'm also on the 'bring kitty for Christmas' bandwagon

My boys LOVE going out, I don't get to take them places as much as I used to (working 50+ hrs a week will do that, lol) but they really enjoy going to pet stores or my parents houses, or for a walk to the park. If my parent's cat was more comfortable with my boys I'd bring them over their for the Christmas festivities...but Patch (my parent's cat) is used to being the only kitty and NOT a fan of my boys and their enthusiasm.

Take her along! Bring her favorite bed and don't keep her litter box spotless (as a helpful assist to remind her where it is) and it'll go just fine.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Premier Cat

Since she's had some trips without too much fuss I would take her. The fact that your parents don't have any pets around is a plus. Yes she will feel at home with them as she will remember their scents and it won't be entirely foreign for her. It will be a nice break from her usual routine and a little holiday for her too.
Don't let her out of the carrier; she will be fine being in it for two and a half hours.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Tom Cat

I used to take my cat with me when I travelled but that cat was a good traveller. She hated the car but was very happy to be around different people and in new places. She was outgoing and easy; she never stressed about anything- not dogs, not kids, noise etc. But I wouldn't try it with the two I have now. They are more easily stressed. So, it depends on how your kitty adapts to new people/ places. If she is quick to adapt then I'd take her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page