New negative behaviour - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New negative behaviour

Ebbi was a rescue kitten, I've basically had him his entire life. He will be turning 7 in July. Ebbi has always been pretty good with only scratching his post, lately he's been scratching up my bed! I wondered if maybe he was stressed as we recently moved, but we moved two months ago and this just started. I scold him but it doesn't seem to work. How else can I discourage this behaviour? I have a pretty expensive and relatively new mattress, I don't want it ruined. Unfortunately my place doesn't have doors, just curtains, so I can't keep him out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Tom Cat

Place his scratching post right next to the bed and spray it with katnip or some other kitty attracting sent.
Have you maybe been neglecting him a bit in all the moving? Angel only scratches at my bed when she wants attention cause she knows I'll come running.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 01:16 AM
Cat Addict

The fact that the bed is new is the most likely cause - it doesn't smell like him (but does smell of chemicals) and he's trying to change that by using the scent glands on his feet.

I agree that putting the scratch post RIGHT THERE will help, you could also rub the corner he most wants to scratch with his favorite bed or blankie to help it smell more like home.

Don't punush him for scratching it (won't help), instead gently pick him up and put him on the scratch post. Then praise him anytime you catch him scratching his post - reward the behaviour you DO want to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I actually have had more time for him since the move so he hasn't been neglected. He's a very happy kitty, just seems bent and determined to destroyed the bed. I should have clarified the mattress is relatively new but not brand new. It was the same one I had in the old place and he never scratched it. It's about 6 months old. Thanks for the suggestion on moving the post. Unfortunately my new place is so small there is literally no room beside the bed for his post. It'll only fit by the door. I'll try the catnip thing, in the past he hasn't really cared about catnip, hopefully this will be different. I'm desperate
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Cat

Pick up that no scratch kitty tape. It's a basically super sticky double sided tape that you can just put around your mattress...they don't like the feeling on paws and he will stop. Also, trim the tips of his nails. Tape found at pet shops. I think Walmart might have it too in the pet section.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Premier Cat

My cats get a very small amount of no-grain kibble as treats, usually when we sit down for dinner. They've connected the words "Treasure Hunt" that they have to find the treats throughout the main floor of our townhouse. This keeps them busy, and they like the idea of "hunting" for their food. They both get a morning meal of no-grain canned food and again the same in the evening just before we go to bed, they go to our basement level to spend the night and eat their evening meal. This is their routine and they go willingly, as I have special boxes set up as beds, litter boxes and water and the basement is heated and not cold or damp. This way hubby and I get an uninterrupted sleep, otherwise they would be in bed with us and walking all over us, and keeping us awake. Your boy may object confinement to a room for the night for a little while, but he will soon get used to it, especially if give him all his meals there and treats. Get him tired out before hand with some play as others have suggested. Here's to sweet dreams!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 12-21-2014 at 12:05 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks Sabrina! I'll see if I can pick some up
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Premier Cat

Get a large sheet of plastic and put it over the bed. Hardware stores, or paint stores should carry sheeting.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Premier Cat

Previous post re feeding....delete--wrong thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page