Inadvertently started a turf war, and now my cat's taken off! HELP! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy Inadvertently started a turf war, and now my cat's taken off! HELP!

Okay, here's the story…

My cat Niko, a 12 y/o fixed male, lives with my mom at the moment, as I currently can't afford to keep him on my own. I also live with a roommate with a dog. :p

Niko's always been an outdoor cat, but has also always returned home after his daily outings. About 3 weeks ago, he started behaving differently. He stopped returning home for days at a time, and when he would come back into the house, he seemed a little lost. Not sick or in distress, but a little dazed.

About a week ago, an elderly lady who lives at the end of the block came to my mother's house and informed her that Niko's been visiting her (along with another cat) and staying with her for the past while (he's collared and licensed, so I guess she tracked down his home info). She had a cat that died a year ago with whom Niko and this other cat were friendly, apparently. So she's been feeding him and letting him stay with her. She seems to respect that he's got a home, and told my mother that she didn't want us to worry and think that he's lost. The fact that this lady made the effort to inform my mother about his whereabouts makes me think that she's not trying to "steal" him from us, otherwise she would not have tracked my mother down. Niko's close to home, but refuses to come back. The last time he came around the house, my mother said that he was giving her the cold shoulder and not even coming inside the house, and he'd move away when she tried to pet him. I also noticed that our other cat, a fixed, 8 y/o female, was biting us a lot, something she doesn't do.

I did find out, however, that my mom had been letting her next door neighbour's cat, also a (HUGE!) fixed male, inside the house for visits recently. I'm about 99% certain that Niko's change in behaviour, as well as our other cat's sudden aggression, has stemmed from the other cat making himself at home in my mother's house, leaving his scent on things, and eating all of our cats' food. Niko probably felt displaced and jealous, and thus sought an environment where he knew there'd be no threat to his territory from another cat. After I told my mom my theory, she stopped letting the neighbour's cat inside, but Niko hasn't come around in a while.

How can we entice Niko back and assure him that we haven't replaced him, and that his home is still his home, and that he's our #1 boy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

There's some serious cat-swapping going on in your mom's neighborhood!

I think until the situation changes, things should stay as they are. If your mom is going to let the neighbor's cat in her house, then her elderly neighbor should keep letting Niko stay at her house.

If your Mom wants Niko back, she should put him first and not let big male cat in the house.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:26 AM
Cat Addict

Help your Mom do some deep cleaning to get the intruder cat's scent off things. He probably rubbed on everything he could get to, and Niko knows it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My mom hasn't let the neighbour's cat inside for about a week and a half. How might she go about removing the other cat's scent from around the house?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Premier Cat

Wipe everything down with hot water with a little bit of dish detergent and vinegar on an old towel. Buy some Feliway spray and spray it around in the house on areas where he may have marked.

When you do see "Niko" have some really yummy treats ready to give him....roasted chicken bits including skin,, little chunks of cheese, or anything else you know he particularly likes. Have the treats with you when you go to approach him, and call him to come to you. Give him a few and then encourage him to follow you into your house. You could speak to the neighbor and tell her you are missing your cat terribly and are trying to get him to stay at your house, and ask her kindly not feed him any more or let him in her house. If "Niko" doesn't respond to your kindness within a week or so, then he's chosen where he wants home to be. At that point I would tell the elderly lady that he's now her cat and is responsible for him.
There are a lot of other kittens and older cats at humane societies and rescues that need to be adopted.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Premier Cat

THe problem I see is him GETTING to the house. If this cat is an indoor out door then it may be prowling around outside your moms house and letting her cat near. The times it's coming home it might be sneaking through.

Just a thought, I don't have any indoor outdoor c ats and don't know how they guard their territory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page