Half Feral Cat Dilemma - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
esn
Kitten

Half Feral Cat Dilemma

So I have a female lynx point siamese. She was pulled from a feral colony at around 8-9 weeks old. I also have her brother from another litter, another lynx point siamese who was pulled at 6 weeks when we finally caught the mother.

The female has always been scared of her own shadow. She camps out in one area of the house, under the sink. She has always been that way. She will not venture out of that room. Nothing like feliway or anything else has ever worked. Recently she got scared when the laundry room took on water when our washer broke, and has been sitting in a corner right behind the litter box peeing and pooping herself. I'm at a complete loss. She is a year old, and she has never been able to operate like a normal cat. Valium, feliway, nothing works. Since the washer broke I have locked her alone in the bathroom to get her to eat, yet she still pees herself. She used to use a litterbox. The interesting thing is that she does not seem afraid of cats or dogs, and lets them snuggle with her.

Meanwhile, her brother is just a normal cat. Just fine. I am worried that the age that we got her at was around the turning point, and it seems clear to me that she cannot be a normal cat. I can't stand that the only way she can live is sitting in one spot next to food and peeing all over her bed. I feel like I'm just barely sustaining her life, but I also don't know how she can be happy. She's too scared of everything that I am positive she'll just die outside.

So I am in need of advice. What would be the best possible solution for this cat? What would you consider if this was your responsibility?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Cat Addict

This is a tough one. Isolation seems the only way you can keep her, but in truth many ferals need the company of other cats to be happy and normal. What is her relationship with her brother?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
esn
Kitten

He used to snuggle with her, but since the laundry room incident he has started attacking her. The other cats are fine. I would be ok with keeping her in isolation, but the biggest issue I think is that she is constantly peeing on herself and eating almost nothing. I am forcing as many calories as I can, and when I can get a hold of her I will attempt to use a grooming foam because she reeks of urine. It's a really sad life, and I've tried my best to make her happy. Currently she's getting all wet food with nutrical and orijen kibble. She's lost weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 08:24 AM
Cat Addict

You really need to get her to a vet as there could well be an underlying health issue here. If she is not eating much that could become a bigger issue.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Premier Cat

Something seems very wrong...
A very good check over by a vet, including blood work, I think is the first thing to do...
She also needs to be checked for any Urinary tract infections, crystals, etc.
Poor little kitty....
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Premier Cat

Esn,
Besides the possible Health issues, and not eating enough...
I think you should ask one of our Moderators to move this thread to Health and Nutrition...
Those things need to be addressed first, before any behaviour issues can be discussed!
Sharon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
esn
Kitten

She has started eating properly now that she's been in isolation a few days. She is clear on health. I work as a vet tech. I think that this is clearly a behavioral issue. She's never been quite right, and always fearful. The incident in the laundry room and how severely it affected her has just made it all the more clear that there is an issue.

Last edited by marie73; 12-26-2014 at 06:00 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Esn,
In that case, ask for this thread to be moved to the Behavior thread/forum!
You will get a lot more notice there from people!
It is so sad, when a cat is afraid of everything...
It almost sounds like she was traumatized by something, before you rescued her...
Good Luck!
Sharon

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
esn
Kitten

I've been wondering if it's a neurological/psychiatric thing, since she has always been this way no matter how much time I spend with her. She trusts me enough to get pets and be picked up, yet is too scared to go out of her spot otherwise.

Can this be moved to behavior? I had assumed it had more to do with her being pulled from feral, but there may be more to the issue.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Premier Cat

Esn,
Ask Doodlebug or Marie73 to move it for you!
Both of them, are VERY helpful!
Sharon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page