How to talk to neighbor? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

How to talk to neighbor?

I adopted Blanco and Mama when the neighbor down the street was feeding the cat family and two died.They couldn't let cats inside and weren't really taking what I consider full ownership. I have had them for two years and they do go in and out. The neighbor is leaving bowls of cheap dry food out on her porch and now my cats are hardly coming home. They both have gained weight and Blanco who has always been jumpy is now totally jumpy with me. My son in law saw my cats there and said I think those are my mother in law's cats. The neighbor said she used to feed them and seemed to want to continue to do that. Here are the points I would like to make with her but wonder if it will do any good.
1. After studying up I realize that the cats need high quality protein canned food which I give them. The cheaper cat foods are more attractive to the cats like fast food but not nutritious.
2. I get them prescription flea medicine
3. I take them to the vets for well check up and illness
4. Due to her feeding them they don't come in at night and are at jeopardy of being eaten by coyote - especially the white one.
Does she want the cats to have an inside home or basically live on the street?
Also they almost sold their house at one point and then what?
I have been a nervous wreck about this. The cats go crazy inside and don't get along well inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Does anyone think I have a right to talk to this neighbor since I am letting the cats out? She must interact with them and get some pleasure from feeding them. It's just she is feeding them kitty crack.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:11 PM
esn
Kitten

Are there any cats other than yours eating at her place? If yes, then there isn't anything you can do other than to stop letting them out. If she's feeding yours in particular, and you have collars and have officially taken them as yours, then maybe leave a note asking her to stop feeding them as they are now on a strict diet for their health.

But really, they could just get junk food somewhere else. If you let them out of the house you have no control over what they eat and do. They could be hunting and catching parasites like crazy too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Unless you want to give her cans of food to feed the cats, you don't really have any say over what she feeds them. Or what happens to these inside/outside cats, who weren't yours to begin with.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I thought of giving her good food but she free feeds and they don't know what cats are eating it. She said whatever cats want to eat it. No real purpose. Hard to justify just leaving Orijen out there. I don't see how she can feed canned since there is no schedule to her feeding them. The cats were living under a car and only outside. She knew I adopted them but I guess she started to miss cats? I know they had a cat and gave it away because of their mean dogs. I know I am in a weird position since I let them out. Maybe I can run into her and then approach it. I don't want to insult her but Blanco has gained too much weight on this junk.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

If she's feeding cats besides yours, you really can't ask her to stop, because that's the only food the other cats could be getting.

Unfortunately, I don't see a solution unless you keep the cats inside.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page