Suddenly licking things - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Suddenly licking things

My 6 year old once-feral cat has begun weird licking of inanimate objects...the cloth cover on the table beside me, my extra glasses laying on it, the top of a small tin with sewing stuff in it. All located on the table. He does not even lick me! He's never licked anything before except himself.

It began last night. He sits there beside me a lot as he is not a lap kitty and has only begun very recently stepping onto my lap with his front paws and kneading my lap. Then last night I helped him onto my lap and got him to lay down & he took a short nap there. Later he again kneaded my lap with front paws and then turned around and began this licking process on the small table cloth. There are not food crumbs there because it's only a side table by my chair. He did it this morning again, and I distracted him by throwing treats which he loves to chase.

The only other thing unusual is that my adult son is visiting here and does sit some on the couch where Lucky takes his naps during the day, but not in "my chair" by the side table.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with him? Is it some kind of territorial or insecurity thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:57 PM
Premier Cat

Since it is a sudden new behavior, it may be a good idea getting your kitty checked out by a vet and ask for a blood test to be done. It could be pica, or something else medically going on with him.

One of my cat likes to gnaw on things, but it's usually due to boredom or wanting attention from me. I had to resort to spraying "Bitter Apple" taste deterrent on any cords, plastic bags, window sills, table corners, etc! The difference with mine is that he started doing this when he was teething, and hasn't stopped from kittenhood!

Hope others can help you further, and I hope it's nothing serious but a minor behavior thing he somehow picked up.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Premier Cat

From the WebMD / pets website. I searched for Pica in cats and this came up along with lots of other info. Personally, since it just started last night I would watch it for a few days then decide if a vet check is necessary.

Medical problems: Cat pica is also associated with feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus, and it may be triggered by conditions like diabetes or brain tumors.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you guys. About two weeks ago he had blood work, tooth cleaning, and 7 teeth pulled, but is showing no signs now of pain, no drooling, etc, and back to a normal diet of am & pm wet food, and eating his dry food at will, chasing soft blue buffalo treats, just this sudden strange licking. I will call the vet to see what his blood work included and also keep an eye on him. He does not go out ever, appears to be afraid of any open door, even after all these years. Has not been out since we got him 5-6 years ago as a 5-6 mo old kitten, trapped by a tnr gal from a burger king dumpster colony.

I feel pain & drool a bit however every time I look at the vet bill.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:48 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis View Post

I feel pain & drool a bit however every time I look at the vet bill.
LOL! Yep, most of us know how you feel.

It's interesting that he started this behavior only after sleeping on your lap for what seems to be the first time, if I understand correctly? This might be completely crazy, but it's almost like he wants to groom you but doesn't quite know how, so he's choosing the things closest to you to groom. If that's what's going on - and I hope that's all it is, nothing medical - it's just adorable.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Funny, he has not done the licking again since those two times. He continues to knead my lap, and has twice (last night & this morning), voluntarily laid HALFWAY on my lap, front paws & head on lap, back legs folded but still on arm of chair and stayed there for several minutes. Looks terribly uncomfortable to me with his rear end elevated on the chair arm, but I expect a total transition one of the days! (Second time he would stretch one paw out toward other side of my lap & bring it back several times). I'm at work now, so don't know what will happen when I'm home tonite. Gosh, after 6 years!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Last night Lucky went further on my lap, actually only had one hind leg stretched out clinging to the arm of the chair, but was in some sort of laying down position in spite of it. He didn't stay very long like that, but I consider it progress. My somewhat jealous husband still says Lucky & I are in love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page