Kitten peeing on soft things - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitten peeing on soft things

We have a 15 week old kitten, he's been with us for 2 weeks and although he can use the litter tray, and does so sometimes, he is very inconsistent.

On Friday he had pooped in his bed, which he had previously peed in two or three times. We washed it each time, and it has now been thrown away.

Today I've noticed that one of the soft mats in his kitten pen has been peed on and he's also peed in a play tunnel with a fur lining.

We have an older cat, who he seems to copy whenever she uses the litter tray but its not all the time - they're separated when we're not in.

I'm going to have to throw away the (very expensive) fur lined play tunnel, as I don't think I can get it clean.

He has 2 litter trays in the room he spends his time in.. There is another out which they both use when they're both out together.

Any advice to nip this in the bud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Premier Cat

Is there any reason why you're separating the kitten from the older cat when you're not home? Since he's mimicking her behavior, it seems she's a good role model for him.

You could confine them to a room, and get a surveillance camera to record how they interact when you're away.

Another thing you can try is some Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter to sprinkle on top of his litter. Yes, you want to try and nip this in the bud before it becomes a bad habit. I would keep your bedroom off limits with the door closed, at least until he's older and reliably using the litter boxes.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Premier Cat

Just want to make sure you're washing/cleaning the soiled items with an enzyme cleaner or "biological washing powder"? Otherwise, yes, the odor will still linger and motivate your kitten to urinate inappropriately again.

How many litter trays are there total, where are they, and how often are they scooped? A little kitten may need multiple trays here and there, they often may not "make it" as an adult cat would. Having multiple trays in various areas should help control the accidents better, and keeping the trays clean can go a long way to encourage good behavior. Think of your kitten as a young toddler...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Cat

Pick up a large bag of cat attract litter and use only that in litter box....works wonders, when nothing else will. Don't mix it with something else, don't skimp, just fill the box with it and let it do it's magic.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Cat

I think the cat attract brand also makes a kitten attract litter. Definitely the best bet to fix the issue.

For the fur lined tunnel, try Fizzion cleaner. Pet friendly and works on pretty much anything, in my experience. You may need to apply more than once, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page