Acclimating Kiki - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Acclimating Kiki

Well, we've had Kiki for a little over a month now. She has her own room and is starting to come out to explore. I have had Feliway plug-ins for about two weeks, the cats seem to be a little more relaxed, so I am assuming it is helping with Kiki's acclimation process.

Kiki still prefers to be in her room but does ask to be let out. She only lurks around the corner but will venture out a little until she is spotted by Milo and Lula. I've been able to keep her door open, and close it when she goes under the bed.

Yesterday I brought her into our bedroom while I was putting the laundry away. I didn't know it but Lula was hiding under the bed - she ambushed Kiki and they got into a little scuffle. I was able to separate them and get Kiki back into her safe place. This morning, Milo decided to venture into Kiki's room - I heard the two of them get into it. By the time I got in there poor Milo was shaken up. After separating them and closing Kiki's door I noticed Milo's ear looks like it might have been bitten. He was so shaken up.

I decided to put bells on Milo and Lula so that they cannot sneak up on Kiki without her knowing it. Does anyone have an opinion on having resident kitties wear bells while new kitty is establishing herself in the home?

Kiki came out again this evening - she managed to make it downstairs without being noticed - but when Milo heard her he went running down there - I heard Kiki hiss at him which caused him to high-tail it upstairs. (poor Milo ) She came back up and went in to her room to "reset" - when she ventured out again she was caught at the top of the stairs by Lula. Lula lunged at her but did not attack - and then backed off. I imagine this is normal and probably a play for territory or dominance on Lula's part. (Lula is 14)

Anyway, things seem to be progressing...slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:00 AM
Premier Cat

I don't have an opinion on the bells, but I just wanted to say that it seems like Kiki will have no problem staking out her own territory...she's definitely not shy!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Lol. She's cautious I guess. She was scared before but seems to be getting braver by the minute. Things will be interesting for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Cat

I used a baby gate to acclimate my two older cats to my feral adoptee when I got her. My older cats were going into her room and trying to intimidate her, and it was turning into fighting. So I placed a baby gate in the doorway, so that they could stare at each other / sniff each other / poke paws in the gate, for a couple weeks. There was a lot of growling but eventually I was able to expand her territory and have supervised visitation between the three of them. Within a month she had fully acclimated and now they're all best friends.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Awe, best friends! That's great.

I have two baby gates. I used them for a few days but Kiki wanted out.

I wonder if it would be ok to have them up while I am at work. Maybe I'll try that next week.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Kiki has decided that she no longer wants to stay in her room with the door closed whatsoever. She has been coming out for a bit, then running back to her room when she's been spotted... but tonight, I heard a low whining noise coming from the stairs.... this is what I found.

She had Milo cornered on the stairs! He just wanted to come up, and he couldn't! Ha ha. He still wants to be her friend, but is a little leery of her since she kicked him out of her room the other day.

Baby steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141231_003815 (576x1024).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	78425  

Name:	20141231_003651 (1024x576).jpg
Views:	47
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	78433  

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:36 AM
Premier Cat

Susieq,
That's CUTE! It's great you were able to capture the moment! :p

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 03:26 AM
Premier Cat

OMG those pics made me laugh! That little Kiki isn't giving an inch of ground, even though she looks quite a bit smaller than Milo. Poor Milo! He's got gorgeous markings.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
OMG those pics made me laugh! That little Kiki isn't giving an inch of ground, even though she looks quite a bit smaller than Milo. Poor Milo! He's got gorgeous markings.
Kiki is making quite an impression, that's for sure!

Milo is Main Coon, so he is a big boy - although he seems to be on the small side for a Main Coon. He is a big baby too, ha ha. He is so friendly - he doesn't even know that he is supposed to hiss and growl at new cats! When Milo first came to our house I attempted to put him in his own room for the acclimation process but he would have none of that. I had no choice but to let him run the house. He went up to Lula right away, as if he'd known her his whole life. Needless to say, he got his feelings hurt when she hissed and swatted at him the first time. It never stopped him from trying though.

At this point, with Kiki, he wants to be her buddy so bad. Things were looking good a few days ago until he crossed a boundary and found out she was not ready. Now we have staring contests going on down the hall. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that Kiki had him stuck on the stairs. He was there for a good 10 minutes before she retreated and he could make his escape. It was kind of funny. I feel bad for Milo - he is just so sweet and I think he just does not understand why she doesn't see that as well!

Milo just makes me feel all mushy inside - he is just such a beautiful - and loving soul. He wouldn't harm a mouse if he could!

I caught him laying on the floor like this the other day having a staring contest with Kiki... he's silly too. (I love his "batman" shadow )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141229_201832 (720x1280).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	78473  

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 PM
Cat

He's so cute! Hopefully Kiki will give in to his friendly cuteness soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page