Aggression? .. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Aggression? ..

So, we got Miikaah (my dog) almost two years ago. The cats and her aren't friends, but they don't constantly hiss/growl/bark/attack at each other, at least not Nugget and her.
Though, Nugget is odd and if I'm getting Miikaah in trouble for something, Nugget will go after her. Presumably because she thinks I'm going after her? I'm punishing the dog, so she needs to too? She wraps her paws around her neck and tries to bite her, and meows at her, she'll also sometimes bite Miikaah's toes if she's laying on the bed with me and I tell her no for whatever reason. That's not the strange 'aggression' that's going on now, though.
See, I came back on Christmas after being at my mom's for about a week, and since then Nugget's been extremely affectionate like when she's in heat. I know she's not in heat because she's not howling around the place like she would, but she's affectionate and doing all these little meows and purr-things. I can totally live with that, but she's getting worse with the dog, and it might seem like jealousy the way I explain this (and it might be confusing) but I don't think it's that.
Anywho, if I make a strange noise, I'm loud, or raise my voice, if I try to play with the dog, Nugget goes after her like it was the dog's fault. It's odd because she doesn't seem angry when she does it, no growling, no hissing, she just pins her ears back (still purring) and meows at her and lunges at her. Sometimes she doesn't attack her, but she'll walk all over me and lay down all cute, and meow. Or she'll walk by Miikaah, meowing in her face and then lay down.
It's so weird. I thought maybe she was starting to come into her "mum" self again, because I have five rats that she tolerates like her own kittens and sometimes she'll meow at them like they were her babies. But that doesn't seem right, she knows that I'm not her baby and it's mainly me she's all cutesy and what-not with.
So my best guess is that I was gone for too long and she's beig overly protective of me..
I can't have her attacking the dog like that, though, Miikaah is starting to snap back at her when she does it and I don't want Nugget to get hurt.. well I don't want either to get hurt, but Miikaah's jaws are a lot stronger than Nugget's.

Last edited by Fraido; 12-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

It's also just getting annoying, having to constantly grab Nugget to stop her.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Sorry to continuously add posts, but you'd swear she was just bi-polar, when she decides against lunging at Miikaah sometimes she'll headbutt her and stuff.
UGH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

So I'm confused - is Nugget spayed or not? An intact female cat could definitely be worse with the dog the older she gets.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Aggression? ..

No she's not spayed.
I'd like to get her spayed, but I don't have the money to do so. Thankfully, there are no boys here, so she's just really annoying when in heat.

Last edited by Fraido; 12-29-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Banned

No, she's not just 'really annoying', she is being tormented by her hormones on a regular basis. Her nature is driving her to breed, and she is unable to do so.

Last edited by marie73; 12-29-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Aggression? ..

I have seen a couple, and I have wanted to do it. I am a sixteen year old girl, who is going to school, and doesn't make money. It's not like I'm refusing to spay her, I said I want to. I can't afford it.
And sorry that it didn't cross my mind to ask for gift certificates, which I didn't know even existed for stuff like that. I mentioned a month or so ago that I would kind of like to get Nugget spayed for Christmas, and it didn't happen.

Last edited by Fraido; 12-29-2014 at 03:09 PM.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Premier Cat

Her hormones are driving her aggressive behaviour to the dog. Please check out Ontario's low cost spay/neuter clinics.....in Barrie, Newmarket, Windsor/Essex, and get her spayed. I believer there is one in Toronto (check with the Toronto Humane Society). She will be coming into heat soon in early spring or sooner, so you need to get her spayed when she's not in a heat.

Spay Neuter clinics in Ontario: Home

Toronto Spay Neuter clinic: http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...do/spay-neuter

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 12-29-2014 at 11:16 PM.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Premier Cat

Fraido,
I agree with Catloverami, check some of those places she's mentioned, chances are, you can get it done very cheaply...

The behavior you're talking about, actually sounds like early 'heat' to me, and it is causing/adding to the aggression, she's showing your dog...
Also...IF she was to door dash, and got out...she WILL end up pregnant...

A Spay is much cheaper, than having to be responsible for a pregnant mama, and then her babies!

Perhaps, there's something you could help out with, in your family, in exchange with money help, to get her spayed?
Do any neighbors need some help with anything?
Time to think...Outside of the Box!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I will look at that link, but the places you listed I believe are too far from me.
I'm in no place to be asking for money from people, not only does nobody have any after Christmas, but I got some pretty expensive stuff from my closest family members (who would actually help me out here). The neighbours and I don't talk.
She's also four years old, I've been through it many times, and I'm fairly certain this isn't 'early heat'.

I don't necessarily think it's NOT hormones, but I really think she's just over protective. When I'm not here, this doesn't happen, and it literally just got bad like this after I got back from my mother's after being gone for a week.

I should be making some money soon, as someone at my co-op placement would like to pay me to help him care for his animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page