Tibby, not fixed but not spraying? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Tibby, not fixed but not spraying?

I recently adopted a young to middle-aged male. He is the sweetest thing and obviously had owners before. We tried to find them but no luck.

I moved him into the upstairs suite at my grandmother's house with me. I don't allow him downstairs because the house is huge and my grandmother's 50/50 Chihuahua/Rat Terrier does his business more inside than out (and I can't convince her to teach him otherwise). Plus Tibs would rip him to shreads.

Primary problem is he started to Pee outside the litter box. He didn't do this at my friend's house before I took him (he lived in their bathroom. 3 fixed male cats, one unfixed female cat, two female dogs, 4 small kids, all in a trailer). Still perfectly sweet, but peeing outside the box after the first week. I weaned him slowly from his previous kibble to new kibble, transitioning slowly to new but very similar litter. Can't afford to buy a variety to see his preferences, but still uses his box for both waste forms.

But he doesn't spray. I've witnessed him urinating outside the box, but no signs of spraying. He still has his jingle bells. Should I be worried? I know spray consists of urine, in part, but I know the smelly difference. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 03:29 AM
Premier Cat

Ooh, have you had him checked by a vet to make sure he doesn't have a urinary tract infection? That's the first thing I would do. If he checks out ok, other possibilities are the type, location, and cleanliness of the box.

Does he pee in the same place outside of the box?

Spraying marks a cat's territory; if there's no reason for him to fear that another cat is around his space, then maybe there isn't a reason for him to spray - at least yet. I haven't ever noticed a difference in smell, but spraying is always against a wall or a door. And the volume is much less.

Do you plan to have him neutered? That should eliminate any worries about spraying in the future.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

He was just at the vet right before I took him and he was given clean bill of health. I keep his box clean and I'm on location #3. I think the urination is a jealousy thing due to my son...if I don't give Tibby the amount of attention he wants (which is near-constant cuddles and love smothering), he gets upset and urinated to make my attention on him. My son is 9 and isn't with me full-time. I share him with my mom since he doesn't have a dad.

I do plan on getting his jingle bells fixed, but I need the money and I'm shopping around for a vet. The one my grandma uses is too old to know what he's doing (never knows what's wrong, offers the same medication for everything) and other vets close by are very super expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:39 PM
Cat

To get him fixed cheaper is finding a local spay & neuter program. I got our cat fixed at a shelter 30 min. from our house for $ 65.- which included a microchip. At our vets office I would have paid over $ 300.- for the same thing, but the wanted a blood & chem. panel.

Last edited by MsPepper; 12-30-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page