Litter box dilemma - New kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Litter box dilemma - New kitten

So, this isn't really a big problem at the moment, but I'm seeking advice on it anyway because I don't want it to turn into a big problem.

I have a two year old cat named Zira, who I've had since she was a kitten, and I adopted a new kitten named Theo about a week and a half ago.

Zira was not too happy about his arrival at first, though she seems to be tolerating him now. I catch her playing with him happily several times a day, but as soon as she realizes I'm watching she suddenly doesn't feel like playing anymore.

Anyway, I live in a small 2 story house, and Zira likes to hang out upstairs for the most part....so, naturally, that's where her litter box is. When I brought Theo home, the "safe room" that I used to introduce him to the house was downstairs, so his litter box is downstairs. I scoop both boxes every day, and in the past for Zira I've replaced the litter every week and a half or so.

I've heard the rule that you need one more litter box than you have cats, but honestly given the size/configuration of my house I really don't have anywhere to place a third box. There is some room next to where Zira's box is, but hers is very wide so I'd need to get two thinner boxes if I were to put a second one there. In my mind, wouldn't that defeat the purpose though of the third box being "neutral"? If they were both in the exact same spot, aren't they both the same "territory"?

I've heard that it's best to spread the boxes throughout your home? The only other place that there would feasibly be some space would be the dining room and maybe the kitchen, which isn't really an option. I really don't want cat poo anywhere near where I eat.

Theo has not tried to use Zira's box. He has now been upstairs to explore, but either he hasn't needed to "go" while up there, or he's travelled downstairs to do his business.

Zira, on the other hand, has used Theo's box at least twice now. I think it's only been twice because the urine clumps have all been kitten sized, so I don't think she's urinating in there, only number 2.

So twice now she's gone number 2 in his box, and she hasn't buried it both times. It's really disgusting because it smells up the room like nothing else without it being buried and the fact that it's an uncovered box. Gross. She has always buried her poo in her own box, and she's still doing that in her box upstairs.

For whatever reason, she wants to leave it uncovered in his box. My assumption is that this is a territorial thing, but I don't know what to do so that this doesn't escalate into something bigger. (And really, I'd prefer if she could stop doing this because it is just plain gross.)

Luckily, Theo hasn't seemed to mind too much since he keeps using his box. But, then again, it's possible that I've tended to it before he's seen Zira's "gift" both times. I can't really be sure.

My question is whether you think that a third box would solve this problem?
Would putting the third box next to Zira's current box be pointless?
Would replacing her box even though I'd be adding a third aggravate the issue?
Any inexpensive ideas for an "incognito" box?

Some candid photos of Zira tolerating Theo while he explores her "spot", the windowsill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 01:12 AM
Cat

I love the pictures! The last one of your little guy is adorable!

I have had two boxes for my two cats without issue and they're both in the laundry room. Maybe if you have out of the box issues you could add another box. I just took in a new girl and she has her own box in her isolation room. I cut a hole into one of my spare rubbermaid containers for the new girl. It's working just fine. It's covered, and kind of inconspicuous since its not an actual litter box. If that makes sense.

Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:31 AM
Premier Cat

I would not give any of this a second thought! All is good in paradise. Let them live and let live - they are fine. They will work out their differences if there are any - the fact that they are playing together at all is good. Keep one box up and one down for the foreseeable future but I would not worry about a 3rd and frankly would not read too much into the uncovered poop. Just scoop it and don't fret about it if you can't get to it immediately. Sounds like things are going well. Don't create problems in your mind were none exist.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Cat Addict

I agree. I have 2 cats/2 boxes. I had 3 boxes but I just don't have the space for 3. Both of mine use the boxes fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page