Countdown til Freyja arrives, last minute tips! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Countdown til Freyja arrives, last minute tips!

It is now officially under two weeks until my new kitten will be here and we are super excited. I just finished off paying the fee today so I am pretty stoked!

I just had a couple of questions for people in regards to introducing Loki and Freyja.

Just a recap; Loki is my 8 month male desexed Devon Rex and Freyja is the newcomer who is a female undesexed 14 week Devon.

For the first few weeks Freyja is going to be confined to my bedroom. Partially because of spacing issues but mostly because we have a lovely walk in wardrobe that is perfect for kitty's to have a little hideaway time in.

I intend to introduce them slowly, by swapping toys and pillows with scents on them first to get them used to each others smell before having some supervised visits.

My concern is that Loki is very much king of the household and his reactions to dogs, babies and the one other male (undesexed) cat he met was to hiss, bristle what little tail hair he has and flick his ears back. My breeder seems to think that because they are both Rex's and were raised with other Rex's they will get over it quickly but I am not too convinced.

My main question is actually about litterbox.

We have a litterbox in the wardrobe already that Loki has been using and this will be Freyja's primary box until we give her access to the whole house. My worry is that because Loki has already been using it she may react to his smell? Should I get a whole new litterbox for when she arrives or would the smell make her feel more comfortable considering she has come from a home with 10 kittens right now and a bunch of Queens and Toms wandering free.

Any extra advice to make this transition smooth would be appreciated as well, though I have gone through the forums and read a bunch already but we always find out new tricks

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also have Feliway diffuser and spray that I intend to use in the bedroom with Freyja and for the visits between them both.

Loki: Blue point Devon Rex
Freyja: My flame and blue Devon Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:27 AM
Premier Cat

I think all will be well. If anything, Loki may play a bit rough with the baby at first but Freyja will squeal and Loki should learn to back off pretty quickly (it's important to not intervene - they need to learn these lessons). I'm predicting that Freyja will take all of 57 minutes to be ruling the roost once she gets home and meets Loki!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 AM
Cat Addict

SOoooooo excited for you!!! . Slower intros are always better and you definately need another litter box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the advice Marcia, I certainly hope you are right

And hopefully we don't have any more pee escapades from Loki...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks Gizmo, I was thinking I would probably have to swap out the current one for a 'fresh' one for Freyja to adjust to.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Premier Cat

We are introducing a new baby to our 6, 7, and 8 month old kittens. Initially there was a LOT of hissing and growling. Komet, the little one, has several of their toys in his room and we swap in/out scratching posts from each kitten's room. Just take it slowly....give short, supervised visits and let them have their growls and hisses. Not one of our big guys have hurt the little one. We did, however, trim all the big guys claws just in case...but even Simba puts his paw up for a smack and the claws haven't come out.

We had a bad experience with TF coming in (despite vets giving a clean bill of health), so we aren't letting ours share litter boxes with the baby yet. TF seems to be more prevalent among purebreds....I really haven't heard about it with non-purebred households.

I know how excited you are feeling! Nothing beats getting a new kitten!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Forgive my ignorance, what does TF stand for Mocha?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 PM
Premier Cat

"TF" stands for Tritrichomonas Foetus!
You can do a "Search" on the forum, to find out about it!
You can "Search" for threads about diarrhea...those will also tie into TF!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:22 PM
Premier Cat

As Sharon says, TF is Tritrichomonas Foetus and it is a particularly nasty disease that is quite prevalent among purebreds. In one study, they tested every cat at a cat show and about 31% tested positive. It is also found in non-purebred cats but at significantly lower rates (about 10%). It presents as VERY presistent diarrhea that is EXTREMELY smelly (think worse than a portapotty at a construction site that hasn't been cleaned in a month stinky).

It isn't easy to diagnose either. We did several fecal tests and they all came back negative; only the full PCR panel showed it as positive and then we could treat it. I actually had to shop around for a vet who would agree to do the test for me as most felt their fecal smears were good enough and refused to order the expensive PCR panel....guess they didn't like me telling them how to do their job. They all lost our cattery's business....and we love our new vet!

It is treated with a special compounded medication Ronidazole, that is extremely yucky tasting and hard to get down the cat's throat. It is recommended to retest regularly to ensure it is completely irradicated. If untreated, the kitten will have this diarrhea on and off for two years and then apparently is a carrier. I suspect a lot of owners go through the smelly diarrhea/cheaper fecal tests/standard antibiotic routines for two years and then think the cat is cured.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for that, I will make sure to keep my eye open for diarrhea but we haven't had any issues with that so far with Loki.

The will be kept separate for a while and separate litter boxes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page