Completely replace litter regularly? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Completely replace litter regularly?

I'm following some of the advice on catinfo.org about the litter box. I keep the litter very deep, and use the bleach mix to wipe down the sides once a week. Feces and urine don't end up touching the bottom or sides, anyway. I replenish the litter every week when I do the bleach spray, and scoop every time I go upstairs if she's left anything there.

It's been two months and she's had some deathly stinky poop the past couple of days, so I think I'm going to dump it all out and start again. I use a mix of World's Best and Nature's Miracle natural (the pine-scented clumping one). I need the Nature's Miracle because I can't stand the smell of World's Best by itself.

I tried Precious Cat and hated everything about it, so that's why I went back to World's Best while still trying to do the recommended spraying/cleaning from catinfo.org.

I thought I'd be able to go longer than two months, but maybe that's just my cat's number. I use a Litter Lifter (LOVE IT), so I'm able to even get the very small clumps, but I suspect there might be tinier clumps left behind that are causing the stink now.

How often do you completely dump out your litter box and start fresh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Cat Addict

I don't.
I wipe the sides and scoop 2-3 times a day (or when needed).
Replenish the litter to maintain a nice deep level.

I USE to do the change thing, but there is no point.

And while I know there are some who are convinced little "bits" are left behind, I haven't had any issues.

If any of mine have a particularly bad poo, (which happens to the best of us on occasion) then I will scoop carefully and make sure I get it all, even if it means scooping out good litter with it. Then, after I have scoop checked the whole box, I sprinkle a scoop or two of fresh over the top.

I've never had any issues with smell. Kitties seem quite happy to use, in fact, two of mine will come and tell they've used the box, so I can go clean it. (How sweet of them lol)

I've never had any issues with anyone not using the box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:33 AM
Tom Cat

I've thought about this too. But I've noticed that eventually there's an odor. And it sticks to the cats. Tiny pieces break off my clumps sometimes when I accidentally stab them. I'm going to do it any day now. I did it last in early November. Plus I don't wipe down the sides. I use a plastic bag over it and just lift it out and throw it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Premier Cat

About once a month or so I let the box get really low. I dump the old litter and wash out the boxes then refill once dry.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Cat Addict

My box is mainly used at night since my cats go out but I scoop any time I see it has been used and I also just scoop good pieces of litter to get all around the eliminations. I use World's Best and refill. I only change it when it seems old or smelly. When I go to wash the box, it looks perfectly clean. It never seems to have anything on the edges. They aren't messy with the box and one never buries the poop. It is right there on the top.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
About once a month or so I let the box get really low. I dump the old litter and wash out the boxes then refill once dry.
Me too. but only about 2x a year, except for foster kittens. no one is sick or I would do it more often. In the foster room I use pine pellets and they often get URIs so I do it much more often - like every week or so - sooner if needed.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:29 AM
Premier Cat

I usually replenish once or twice when the level gets low and then do a full change and wash out the boxes about every 6-7 weeks. I use World's Best, and while I love that it's natural and that I can flush it, it does get dusty after being scratched at and walked on for a while.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 06:13 PM
Cat

I don't change the litter either. I do have only one (spoiled)cat, who likes his box scooped, and I usually scoop at least 3 times a day. I just use Arm & Hammer litter, or Pet Pride by Purina because they are both cheap,and I have never detected any odor. I do keep it deep enough so he won't hit the bottom.

He knows when I come home from work in the afternoon I will clean his box after I give him his catnip. If I get distracted, he stares into the laundry room where his box is, or sometimes goes in and looks into the box and back at me. Definitely likes a clean box. He is very neat when he uses it and never gets anything on the edges.

Even when I had a two-cat household I didn't change the litter very often Usually in the spring as I remember when I could wash/hose it out outside.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Jr. Cat

Mine likes to pee on the sides so it does touch and is really hard to scoop out completely, so I usually end up completely changing the litter every week or 10 days. She also doesn't like it very deep (likes to scratch the bottom) so I don't actually end up throwing that much "good" litter out.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 09:31 PM
Cool Cat

I have two litter boxes, we scoop regularly. I top it off when they get low – but we do a complete litter box change every three weeks. Otherwise It does get stinky- at least with my prolific boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page