Anyone have a good suggestion on cat toys? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Anyone have a good suggestion on cat toys?

Hello everyone so I'm just looking to find more cat toys for my cat to play with when shes alone. When I'm with her she loves the feather toys that are on a string. I found out that she likes to chase things that are moving as if she was hunting. With paper balls she will chase them but after it stops moving she becomes uninterested. Thats why she likes the feather toy more, when i hide it behind objects and keep it moving but i can't always play with her 3 times a day. Is there a toy ball that can keep moving on its own or some sort of toy that can keep it self moving? Not a huge fan of laser pointers.

Is anyone successful in teaching their cat to play catch? I can never get her to pick the ball up and bring it back tome since she becomes uninterested once it stops moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Premier Cat

A cardboard box with a large hole in the top, one in the side with the bottom and sides cut for an emergency swinging door exit and peek-a-boo holes here and there.
Ping Pong balls.
They make mouse and bug attachments for Da Bird that my kittens go crazy for! Check Amazon.com for these.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Jr. Cat

I needed to find the same thing, as I work from home and can't actively play with my cat during the day. I ordered this and it arrived this morning. I put it together, and she played for a solid 30+ minutes with it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Tom Cat

Mine like the toys that make little noises when they swat or pounce on it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
A cardboard box with a large hole in the top, one in the side with the bottom and sides cut for an emergency swinging door exit and peek-a-boo holes here and there.
Ping Pong balls.
They make mouse and bug attachments for Da Bird that my kittens go crazy for! Check Amazon.com for these.
Sadly she doesnt like boxes. I've tried introducing many size boxes and using treats but i don't think she likes confined areas . Ill try the ping pong balls tho!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsmudge View Post
I needed to find the same thing, as I work from home and can't actively play with my cat during the day. I ordered this and it arrived this morning. I put it together, and she played for a solid 30+ minutes with it!

Catit Design Senses Play Circuit
Sweet! I may get this with some of the attachments and see how she likes it. Was hoping for something that would make her run around more because shes a active cat but i like how modular this thing is.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Premier Cat

Recently, my two have been entertaining themselves with this springy toy.

If you've got hardwood floors, it'll be ideal. I've got mostly carpet in my apartment, so Maya is always getting stuff under my fridge and stove when I don't play with her. She loves it when I toss it across the room and she'll retrieve it back to me so we often do play "catch" in a way. She loves those springs and those rattling fuzzy mice best!

Other things they both love are these furry toys:

G loves that and his Rosie Rat. Sometimes too much where he salivates all over the thing and I have to toss it out! He loves soft, fuzzy toys, especially if it's made of rabbit fur.

Toys I've been considering:
Undercover mouse toy knock off:

and a puzzle toy:

or these:

If anyone has these, I'd love to know how your cats like it. I'm thinking of placing their fuzzy toys in there or some freeze dried meats on occasion.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:54 PM
Premier Cat

Most kitties seem to like any variation on the toy that sweetsmudge posted. I have just the plain circle with the ball, and it's one of only 2 toys that my cat will entertain herself with. The other is the squeaky mouse that you can hang over a door: Play-N-Squeak Interactive Cat Toys ? Bring the Wild Inside!

She bats it once, it swings wildly and squeaks, she dashes off, it stops swinging and squeaking, and she comes back in the other direction to bat it again. Etc. Highly entertaining to watch.

There are also several automatic toys that you can set to move, like the undercover mouse toy link that TabbCatt has above. Some kitties, like mine, are afraid of them though.

TabbCatt, I have the peek-a-prize box. I've had it for at least 6 years and my girls have never played with it. Not once. And it's stupidly expensive for a square with holes cut in it! Want mine?

Last edited by spirite; 12-31-2014 at 11:57 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Premier Cat

Spirite, Lol.
I'd love to have yours, what's the cost of shipping from Roanoke? My thoughts with that is because I had a home-made cardboard box one before, but then guess who started chomping on the cardboard? It's a constant battle I've been having with my boy! So no plastic baggies and cardboard boxes. And probably that "cat amazing" box is a not a good idea. It'll have numerous bite marks on it within the day, I just know it!

Misterious--

If you've got the $$$, you could buy a kittyo! I'd love to have that, but I'd probably use it more to spy on my naughty nameless kitty!
http://kittyo.com/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Premier Cat

We have a few version of that cat ball track wheel thingy. Our cats love playing with them. We have kitty cams in their rooms and they play with those, catnip balls/mice/bags, 1" pompoms with the little spikes most of the time.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page