questions from a cat lover - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

questions from a cat lover

hello yall- im new here and I have a few questions about my new kitty i found as a stray, shes cute and everyone says that she's a mane coons, I have looked up some info about mane coons but i cant really know for sure.

1 she keeps on meeting me at my door (like a dog) and following me from room to room and meowing even when im petting, is that normal for a kitty.

2 she jumps on me and climbs me when ever im standing still.

3 she loves to head butt me and nibble on me.

Im not sure on if any of the things are normal for a small kitty (or mane coons) but i know for sure when im talking on the phone and not really dressed its a bit of a bother when she jumps on me and tryes to climb me.
I understand that the headbutting thing is something that cats do to show affection but when i get out of the shower she dose the whole jumping thing and head butting thing like i was gone for hours or days.

I looked up on Wiki about mane coons and they said that the crying and meowing thing is something that they do but is it something thats just a kitty thing or is it her breed of cat that is mouthy lol (i dont mind the meowing).

how do i stop the jumping/climbing me thing and what info am i missing to fully understand her. I got her from my friends who have lots of cats as is and they found her on their door step she was a little bit younger then (Ive had her for close to a month now and she has grown alot) I figured from pictures that I have found online that she is about 8months old and still has alot of growing to do.

I have named her Zenorah kitty, im going to be takeing her to the vet here shortly (I havent done it due to money reasons).

What should I do to help train her.

(BTW- im going to be making her a cat tree from a old christmas tree i got for free)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:57 PM
Premier Cat

To discourage her from using you as a tree, have some little toys (stuffed mousies, paper/foil balls, spiral thingies (at pet stores), in your pocket or handy. When she climbs up you, say "No" and gently put her on the floor, and immediately distract her with a toy. Eventually she'll catch on to the idea that you don't want to be her tree. Getting a tree or scratching post (wrapped with sissal is good). If you use the old Christmas tree, make sure it is untipable and well anchored. Encourage her to use a cat tree by scratching your fingers on it. When she does scratch it, praise her lavishly with lots of "good girl!"

The other things she does, meet you at the door, follow you about, head butts and nibbles are things a Maine Coon cat may do, but so do most kitty's that are an only cat and don't have the distraction of a playmate. Zenorah sounds adorable (love her name!) and I certainly wouldn't discourage the head butts or kisses. At 8 mos old, she could be coming into heat. Do not allow her to go or sneak by you to get outside or you'll soon have a pregnant kitty. Yes she should be spayed ASAP.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 PM
Kitten

Hi kilroy! I've recently discovered these kitten must haves below:
-toys
-scratching post
-playtime

It's good that you'll be getting her to a vet soon. I rescued a maine coon mix in September and he's the first long hair kitty for me so it was a learning process, in many ways. Don't worry, she sounds normal!

Wishing you both a wonderful new year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 12:21 AM
Cat

Hi Kilroy!

You've gotten some good information so far!

I am a first time owner of a Maine Coon myself. I noticed that he is the sweetest cat I've had. They can get big, and they have a personality to match! I was surprised at how much mine follows me around the house too, he headbutts me when he wants his head scratches - and he is very vocal as well. He loves his human companionship and has bonded with me and my fiance. He's just an all around happy cat! I read up on the breed when he came into my life too and so far he has lived up to the "gentle giant" stereotype.

I'm happy Zenorah found you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page