post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What are the effects of catnip?

SUPER curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM
Premier Cat

My cats first eat it, then start to roll around in it. If my two are near each other, they'll start a wrestling match which lasts maybe 5 minutes until one of them gives up and then proceed to roll around in it for another 5 minutes or so.

Can't give it more than a few times a week, though. If I do, it has very little effect. And what's weird is that they both like the loose catnip (instead of the stuffed toys) I buy from my local independent stores. Some of the catnip I've used were cheap and didn't have much "scent". However, I really wish they went nuts over the Yeooww banana. It would mean zero vacuuming for me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Premier Cat

It gives a neurological sensation of euphoria but it is short lived usually only for 10 or 15 minutes. For best effects, put the flakes in the refrigerator or freezer in a sealed container and only give it once or twice a week. I put puff balls and fabric toys in a mason jar with cat nip for several days and let the toys absorb the scent then put one or 2 our a week.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 12:05 AM
Premier Cat

It doesn't affect all cats - just most of them.

And I think the effects vary. One of mine liked munching loose catnip but only 2 or 3 times (in 13 years) did she ever actually play with a catnip toy. It seemed to mellow her out.

The other one doesn't generally munch loose catnip. She rolls around in it and then licks it off herself, and it makes her very feisty. She grabs a catnip toy in her front paws and bunny kicks it with her back paws. If my other cat was within striking distance, she'd grab at her with all four legs (which would result in her being swatted and then running away - leaving a trail of catnip all over the house).

Yeowww! is the best catnip I've bought. The catnip banana is a favorite.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 02:50 AM
Premier Cat

fxokz--
I just realized you've got a very young kitten! From my experience, catnip does nothing for them until they are about 6 months old...IF he is one of those that are affected by catnip. So, you can go out and get some, but I wouldn't be too excited if there's no reaction just yet.
However, a young kitten will have a lot of energy to do other fun things in the meantime and keep you occupied!

Hope it's going well with you and your kitten. By the way, what is his name? I don't see any pics of him yet and we'd LOVE to see yours!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 04:04 PM
Cat

I grow catnip year round, although I'm constantly having to keep it from spreading too much. Even in our climate I find in the winter I can cut back & cover with a plastic container to keep it alive.

My cat is a bit constipated, and has begun to detect any trace of pumpkin I put in his food. I find that when I come home in the afternoon and bring in a couple of leaves of fresh catnip, tear it up a bit, he will eat it and usually poop! I consider it a bit of a laxative for him.

He does not care for the dried variety.

Last edited by Janis; 01-01-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: unfinished...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 05:07 PM
Cat Addict

My crew all love it! Lottie becomes positively orgasmic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page