Hi I'm new - question about confining cat to a room for 5 months - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hi I'm new - question about confining cat to a room for 5 months

Hi I'm new. I came to this forum because I am cat sitting a cat and need help!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Premier Cat

We can't help unless you tell us what's happening.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Premier Cat

Hi pawprints!

Welcome! Are you still cat sitting and need help? You should be able to post now that your intro has been uploaded here. Press F5 first, to refresh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Okay well it won't let me post in another thread so I'll post here. My fiances family has gone out of town for 5 months. It was only going to be for a week...
Anyways I'm really allergic to the cat (we are really house sitting, the cat was only a small thing since we could keep her in his sisters room) and since it's now been two months I felt bad leaving her locked up in the bedroom so she's out in the living room now, which means /I'm/ now confined to a bedroom. My allergies are VERY severe and I have asthma attacks from it, so I do all I can to stay away from the cat.
I just am tired of spending most of my time in the bedroom and would like to lock the cat back up, but would that be detrimental to her health?
They will be back in June, and the cat would have minimal human contact, just to clean her box, feed and water.
Thanks...any other suggestions are certainly welcome
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Tom Cat

Is there anyone else that can cat-sit? Since they originally said they would be gone for a week and it's now turned to five, I would honestly try to contact them and tell them that they will have to make arrangements for her to either be boarded or have a professional cat-sitter take care of the cat. If they can't do that from where they are, get them to send you funds to do it yourself. Your health is important and you don't want to mess around with asthma. I know someone who got a cat then found out he was very allergic, developed asthma and one night he woke up due to an asthma attack. As he was stumbling out of bed he fainted, fell and broke his nose and had to go to the hospital.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:56 PM
Premier Cat

Pawprints,
Your fiances family are responsible for their "change" of plans, they now need to be responsible for their cat!
And pay for any services, that a pet sitter, or boarding would cost!

You need to be completely honest with your fiance's family...

This isn't a good situation for you or the cat!
Your physical health, and the cat's mental health...

She can't be locked away like that, without contact, plus there is to many things, that the stress she'd be under could cause health wise...

You, or they, need to find a professional pet sitter, that can handle this poor cat, long term.
Check through any shelters, there might be someone willing to "temporarily" foster her, for the owners.

I feel for both of you!
It's turning into a nightmare for you, and it could well turn into a nightmare for the poor cat, that's caught in the middle...through no fault of her own.
Good Luck!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

One week turning into 5 months???!!! That's unacceptable, for you and their cat. That's really too much to ask of anyone.

I'm not really clear on the living situation, though. It sounds like you're staying in their house. Do you have your own place you could move back to?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Premier Cat

5 months in a room is doable if he/she has companionship - as in human but 5 months of isolation is totally unacceptable IMO. I would contact the people and tell them to make other arrangements because of your health and the well being of the cat.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The situation is entirely too complicated and personal to explain, but asking her for even 20$ for cat litter and food results in nothing. If it was his moms cat and not his little sisters I would've given it away by now. This situation has gotten out of control.
Anyways, I guess I'll just stay in the bedroom for now...at least I can understand what's happening whereas the cat can't.
Thanks for your help everyone
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Cat

I agree with everyone! She can't possibly be put in a bedroom and be pretty much left there for 5 months! And you can't possibly be expected to be the one that stresses out and suffers due to their cat!

This sounds like an impossible situation for you! If you had mild allergies, you might be able and willing to take some allergy medications and everything be ok but it sounds like your allergies are just way to severe!

What does your fiance say and feel about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page