Anyone feel like their cat sees you only as food supply - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Anyone feel like their cat sees you only as food supply

I know all cats are different but i feel like my cat literally only sees me as the food supplier guy. When i play with her i don't think she sees me and is focused on the toy. My girlfriends cat does the slow blink, head nod and kneading but Oreo doesn't do any of those. She was a feral/stray cat with good manners. Is it possible she doesn't do the slow blink, head nod and kneading because she was taken from her mom early? Her back story that we were told (not sure if its 100% true) but she was possibly part of a litter and was the only one that wasn't given away and the owners counldnt take care of her and put on the streets. Also she doesnt like to be petted a lot and only marks us and everythig else. Somtimes she will cuddle when we sleep near our feet.

I want to gain my cats trust and love any suggestions?

Also this is off topic but ill throw it in. Oreo is 6.5lb aprox 9mnths and she always wants to eat. We have her on natural balance right but im planning to switch. The recommended serving for her is about 1/2 a cup per day. and i break it up into 3 servings through out the day. Should i feed her more? I think when she was outside she was use to being free fed. Should i still keep the free feeding until a year maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 07:54 AM
Premier Cat

Yea, that is just their basic personality on display there. Some cats are real lovers right out of the gate and some are more aloof. Much depends on your expectations of the relationship. If you are cool towards her she may be cool towards you. If you are always trying to snuggle, cuddle and show affection towards her she may reciprocate. I say MAY. She may just be the aloof part. I try to evaluate my kittens so I can properly give what I discern to be their basic personality traits. I do have some that are less snuggly than others but in kittens you just never know. My Polly was a total snuggle bug as an infant but now that she is pushing 8 months old I find she is happy to sit by herself. She may change as she ages, I dunno - I just accept her as she is.

As to feeding, I feed my foster kittens as much as they want. The babies are growing until maturity, about a year old. I feed them wet 2x a day and they free feed on good quality dry. I understand some people prefer regular feedings so if she scarfs down her serving and wants more, then by all means give her more. When I was doing scheduled feedings, my rule of thumb was always to feed until they walk away for good then take it up.

Also, gaining trust takes time - sometimes years. My Abby took a full year before she let me rub her belly and love on her. After that she could not stay out of my lap or arms. If she had a bad experience with people it may take longer. Be patient - hard won love is the sweetest.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"

Last edited by Marcia; 01-02-2015 at 07:57 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Cat Addict

I have a simular feeding regime to Marcia's clan.
Feed: good wet-2x per day
Free-feed: best affordable quality dry.

As a rule of thumb, I have always fed my kittens as much as they wanted, the first year. They are burning zillions of calories a day as growing kittens.
The second year, I slowly worked them into an adult daily routine. By 18 months mine all ate the same.

As Marcia said, some prefer schedule only feeding. (No free-feeding)
But the same would still apply as to the amount.

Earning trust from a cat is a long and lengthy process, sometimes. It really does depend a lot of what the cat has been exposed to. Just relax, take it slow, don't get frustrated, your kitty needs to take things slow. You are HUGE in his eyes and very unpredictable and possibly dangerous.

You're not alone, I've got a couple of scaredy cats, myself. I know it can be hugely frustrating as well as disappointing. You're not just a food supply to him, honest. He has a certain trust in you already. Cats will not hang around if they feel threatened or nothing is "working out" for them in their current situation.

Good luck with Oreo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

after i posted this she sat on my belly while i was on my computer!

Ah okay, the other day we had to leave for about a day and decided to leave half a cup out and she ate it all before we left... Do cats know how much they should eat or do they just eat and eat?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 10:35 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterious View Post
Oreo is 6.5lb aprox 9mnths and she always wants to eat. We have her on natural balance right but im planning to switch. The recommended serving for her is about 1/2 a cup per day. and i break it up into 3 servings through out the day. Should i feed her more? I think when she was outside she was use to being free fed. Should i still keep the free feeding until a year maybe?
Just a thought... Has she been checked for worms?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Not sure if she had worms when we first got her but the vet gave us Revolution that was to help with the fleas and its supposed to help with the worms too. I haven't seen any traces in her feces either. Its her second month on Revolution so hopefully everything is good. Gonna have her on it for a few more months just to make sure everything is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page