How to stop foot attacking night? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

How to stop foot attacking night?

Our wonderful little adoptee kitten, a calico "Callie" (see her in the Meet My Kittie section) is a great kiddo, she's in top health, about 6 months old. She's been our adoptee from a stray for about 2 months now.

I know she's playful (she's a kitten!) but nights, she likes to jump onto my feet and "attack" them. Not hard, just playful, but naturally she wakes me up. She's very fond of me (which I'm happy about) and so she'll lie across my feet nights while grooming. The constant jiggling is regrettably annoying.

She can't really hurt me but her teeny claws do penetrate the blanket (we live in Houston so the weather's never cold for a big thick blanket, and those claws instantly bring me out of a deep sleep.

Last night I had to get up and put on some bed slippers so she wouldn't scratch me thru the blanket. And of course, having shoes on your feet is uncomfy during sleep.

I can of course discipline her and gently swat her away, but I know she's just being playful and don't want her to be afraid of me. But at 3am? I need sleep.

Suggestions on how to train her to leave my feet alone? Training that's not harsh, of course. Just so I can get sleep? ha ha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 03:32 AM
Premier Cat

Katdad,
A kitten will have tons of energy. This is her way of playing, so to discourage this behavior, you'll do best with getting a wand toy like da bird about an hour before your bedtime and MAKE your kitty literally run down from exhaustion. You'll have to play hard core with her, rev up her heartrate and make her jump, run, pounce, leap, all over your place. Don't stand still, i make my young cats jump on their cat tree, over the sofa, walk and tease the toy into the bedroom and onto my bed, on windowsills, etc. After about 20-30 minutes of intense play and your cat can't get up and is panting, put and lock away the toy safely and then serve her last meal. If you're free feeding her, switch it to scheduled meals by now. That last meal can be wet, too, of course, but see if you can incorporate this as part of your nightly routine. Tiring her out with appropriate play followed by food will encourage your kitten to groom and take an extra long nap that hopefully lasts throughout the night.

If you can't do this all the time, the other alternative would be to shut her out of your bedroom or get a second kitten as a playmate. There are reasons rescues highly recommend adopting 2 versus a single kitten. I've never regretted my decision, either.

Maybe others here have more ideas...

Last edited by TabbCatt; 01-03-2015 at 03:36 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Premier Cat

Just before bed I make sure I do a good 15 minutes of laser pointer with my 8 month old Polly and my six 4 month old foster kittens. I stand at the most advantageous corner of the rooms and let them run back and forth until they are so tired they beg me to tuck them in!.....well, that's a bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea. Polly is the only one that stays out of the foster room (Happy Room) and she used to go after my feet but not anymore since I started doing that.

Worst case scenario, she will outgrow it eventually and realize that actually sleeping is the most wonderful thing to do!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

The night playtime is already a routine thing. What happens of course is that she sleeps till 3am, then wants to play more.

We already do have 2 cats now, the other is also a stray adoptee who's now about a year old. These 2 cats play together fine. Games like "Tag and Sam's stomach is the base!" ha ha

My girlfriend and I love both these wonderful little additions to our family. I guess I'm stuck with wearing my bedroom slippers under the covers. Oh, well...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Premier Cat

Katdad,
This is a Fantastic age to get her used to trimming those sharp little kitten claws!

After a good play session, and after she's been fed, is usually when a mama cat would groom her kittens, and then they take a nap!

So, after she's been played with, and fed, snuggle her, and lightly massage her feet, so she gets used to them being touched, and knows she doesn't have any thing to fear.

Kittens claws are so thin and tiny, you can get away with using fingernail clippers for now, just trim the point off, you DON'T want to hit the "Quick"! That HURTS, and they do remember! If you only get one or two at a time, thats fine! The whole idea is to get her used to it, and not fear it!
This will help your toes!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page