Possible new kitty - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Possible new kitty

Hello all! I have a question about introducing a new cat into your home. I have a 14 year old male neutered kitty named Mango, who is a snuggly, lazy, orange sweetie. I have had him for quite a while now, he was my parent's, but he was afraid of their dogs so I took him in. He's incredibly well behaved, affectionate, and all around a great kitty and I love being his mom!

Well I have a friend who recently took in a stray. He is neutered, she got him all caught up on his shots and checked out by the vet, and he seems to be a great cat, she just already has too many pets to begin with so she has been looking for a home for him.

My question is has anyone had any experience in a new male cat when you already have a male cat? I know if I were to consider adopting him I would have to make total sure that him and Mango got along well, but is that likely? Or are male cats generally too territorial?

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Senior Cat

Cats in general, regardless of gender are territorial, once they're fixed they become FAR less aggressive and territorial, many people have little to no troubles introducing new cats to their home whether it be male/male, female/female, or male/female, it's just all about taking things slow since cats can get pretty stressed out by change, and stress generally = aggressive behaviour.

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

Take a look at that article, it gives awesome advice about how to go about properly introducing a new cat into your home so that there are minimal altercations! If you follow that, and keep a close eye on your cats behaviour you should be fine! Keep in mind, some cats might be fine moving quickly through introduction periods, some you might need to take it more slowly, just make sure you're paying attention to your cats body language can keep an eye on whether you're going too fast!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM
Cat Addict

I have, at present, eight cats living here - all totally integrated. Some mixed quickly - others took a while. I did, however, have one total failure (the reason I first came here) - it is a bit of a lottery but, given your circumstances, I would keep on trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiepoo View Post
Cats in general, regardless of gender are territorial, once they're fixed they become FAR less aggressive and territorial, many people have little to no troubles introducing new cats to their home whether it be male/male, female/female, or male/female, it's just all about taking things slow since cats can get pretty stressed out by change, and stress generally = aggressive behaviour.

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

Take a look at that article, it gives awesome advice about how to go about properly introducing a new cat into your home so that there are minimal altercations! If you follow that, and keep a close eye on your cats behaviour you should be fine! Keep in mind, some cats might be fine moving quickly through introduction periods, some you might need to take it more slowly, just make sure you're paying attention to your cats body language can keep an eye on whether you're going too fast!
Thank you! Super helpful. I'm going to schedule it to were he comes to live with us when I'm off for two days next week. That way I can really keep an eye on them and help introduce them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page