Feliway? spray or plug in? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Feliway? spray or plug in?

I got a plug in but I notice no behaivor at all, I have one cat meowing constantly and one cat who knocks things down
I bought it cause one has FIC and may lower her stress

So I am wondering on your experience and If I should buy spray bottle?
If i bought a spray bottle should I spray and let it sit before they get near it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think Feliway is going to help a cat who knocks things down.... that's what cats do.

I do use Feliway, not the spray though. I have the plug in. I think it helps enormously for Book and MowMow, I'm not sure how it effects Neelix since he's always been around one. I don't know how he acts without the effect.

I chose the plug in so I wouldn't have to keep respraying things over and over.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Cat Addict

I've used the spray. I live in a 3 story house and there is no way I would be able to afford the amount of plug ins I would need to cover the house.

All I can say is, it isn't a miracle worker, but it does have an effect.
My experience with it came to show itself around feeding time. Usually, it is quite raucous around here, especially at breakfast, so I sprayed a bit around the kitchen and me. Let the alcohol dry off about 10 minutes before exposing the cats to it.
It seemed like everyone was in slow motion LOL. It was calm(er) and there was a lot of sniffing going on at first. As for what I was wanting to see, if I could gain more trust, I can't say it did all that much.

I guess the best way to explain it is, it helps keep them from being riled up. And let me stress it only helps.

A constantly meowing cat, it might help some, but that depends on why the cat is meowing. (They only "meow" to communicate with us humans) You may want to investigate what is making her meow.
The one knocking things over, like MowMow said, it's not going to help. Some cats love that game, others couldn't care less, but that's more in the personality then a behavior issue.

If you use the spray you do have the flexibility of spraying areas were it is needed and there is a lot less "wait" time to see if it does anything at all. That way you could tell if it was worth buying a diffuser.

Good luck with your kitties

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Premier Cat

Like Cat face, the cost of the plug ins, are prohibitive!
I've been trying 'calming' collars, so wherever the cat goes, so goes the calming effect!
So far, they have worked pretty well on two of my boys! I'm still waiting to see what the results will be for the third male...
I think, like catnip, some cats go gaga for it...other's, not so much...
Just another idea for you!
Good Luck!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

my cat meows alot she may feel anxeity or something when a person comes or if i got a new desk recently she meowed thinking it would hurt her
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Premier Cat

The plug ins are for larger enclosed spaces like a room with a door and windows shut. You need several for a large house or even an apartment. One will only cover about 400sf of ENCLOSED space. If you open a door or a window then you have dissipated it's effects.

The spray is meant for small spaces like a carrier before a vet visit.

Nothing is going to stop her from knocking stuff down. Put antiques or breakables up and away from cats if you don't want them ruined. Cats like to jump, climb and explore little out of the way places and some cats (contrary to popular belief) are klutzes.

What is FIC?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Premier Cat

Marcia,
FIC....Feline Interstitial Cystitis.
(Also what my Snicker's was diagnosed with).
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 01:35 PM
Premier Cat

:.and Book as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page