Interpret PLEASE! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Talking Interpret PLEASE!

Ok, cats are weird, no question. My Odd is defenitely up there. I live in a small apartment, so I have set it up in such a way that he has plenty to climb on. I have even sacrificed setting up some pictures on bookshelves so he has more "up" space. I do my best to play with him and to keep him entertained when he wants to play.
He has 2 daily "witching hours". He will suddenly be a bundle of energy, racing at top speeds around the whole apartment, trilling, meowing, chirping, and attacking shadows. i have learned to just stay out of the way until these moments pass. Sometimes during these hyper moments he will leap straight up into the air, letting out a rather loud MEOW as he does so. He will land, bog eyed and stand absolutely still for a few seconds, then race from the room silently.
He comes back moments later acting like he did not just lose his nut completely.
A little while later he will have a drink or a snack then go to sleep. Does anyone elses cat do this? If so, what do you think it is?
Or, am I just living with a complete lunatic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Premier Cat

All 3 of mine do that. Even the 10 year old.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Cat Addict

LOL most cats do this. I suppose its a bit of energy that just gets pent up and has to be spent... somehow!
My Sadie loves flying through the house, loud and proud! lol She lays one her side and uses her claws to pull on the carpet on the step, to play peek-a-boo, then gets a twitch, possibly a tail twitch, ears back, a few scrapes on the floor with the claws to gain traction for lift off.

Sometimes she gets Belle in on it and they both fly. lol

And yes, in an instant they can act like nothing had ever happened or it's something everyone does and no big deal LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Tom Cat

Jasper does everything you just described and more! His crazy spells usually start with him hunching his back and assuming a 'fraidy cat stance ... it's hilarious. My friends and I call it his signature stance.

It's funny because he looks like such a sweetheart in my pictures. He's very affectionate and cuddly when he wants to be, but 95% of the time he's a fluffy blur flying all around the house. Cats, I love em!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:18 PM
Premier Cat

Hehe, MowMOw does the same as Jasper. He comes running up to me in Fraidy cat stance and stares intently at me until I lean forward and say "BOODGE DA FAT KITTY!" then he races around the apartment. He always winds up in the furthest room and yeowls for me to come get him. Then when he sees me he does it all over again.

Of course now that he's older he does it a lot less, but when the kitten is locked up in his room (so he can't chase) MowMow still gets all 'Boodgekitty'.

MowMow also loves hide and seek. When he's being sassy I'll hide in the closet or crouch down on the other side of the bed and call him. His eyes get all dilated and he creeps closer and closer until I jump out so he can run like a maniac.

I can get him all silly if I peek at him over something like the back of the couch. I'll creep up slowly and make eye contact then duck down really fast. It took years but Book does it now too. I repeat that a few times and they always run at me and want to play. Be cautious doing that though, Neelix got too excited and actually did attack my face. It was in play (not aggressive) but still. The older boys know to be careful.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

All three of my girls do this. Even my proper Cinderella did it. Rocketbutt mode, ghost mouse, whatever you call it. I LOVE it!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Last edited by marie73; 01-05-2015 at 04:48 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all for your responses! They were quite funny and reassuring. I was actually a little worried the apartment might be too small for him. Odd is a funny one, he was unique when we spotted him at the Humane Society and he has gotten more unusual since. So, I AM living with a furry lunatic, but apparently this is normal, in cat world, lol!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Premier Cat

Oddthomas Yes, most cats do this....in fact I would even go so far as to say most animals.....I've seen cows, horses, rabbits, goas, sheep do their crazy running around and frolicking about twice a day. Even a flock of pigeons in the city will all take off in a group and fly in circles at least twice a day to get in their exercise time.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Hehe, MowMOw does the same as Jasper.
That's hilarious that he and Jasper both do that

I think it's the funniest thing I have ever seen! One he's in fraidy pose, he doesn't bend his legs when he moves, and kinda teeter totters around moving only his paws. I'm not sure if you all can picture that (I'll try and get a good video) but it's absolutely as funny as it sounds! He also chirps and trills up a storm when he does this. It's so precious

I sympathize about the play injuries too! Jasper accidentally scratched right underneath my eye when I was holding a toy near my face on top of my bed with him. It wasn't a bad scratch at all, but it was really close to my eyeball. Won't be making that mistake again!

Last edited by marie73; 01-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Cat

Hehe, Panther is a nutcase like this. We have guests staying at our house and just last night after I had gone to bed she called me out and said that Panther was being really strange and making odd noises. She sounded really worried and I went out cos he did accidentally get a phone dropped on his head earlier. I picked him up and took him to the hallway and after a few seconds he started leaping around, tossing his ball in the air, running around, finding another ball and batting that around, and then walked back to us all composed and followed me back to bed.

Super hillarious. He will often trill at me and then run away for no good reason. I used to play peek-a-boo with him when he was in that mood and he loved it, but he seems to have grown out of it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page