Rescue cat very clingy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Rescue cat very clingy

Hey all, about 6 months ago I found a gorgeous pure white odd eyed cat which I'm assuming was about 5 month old in my back yard, I fed her & she refused to leave. I found out it was a couples cat who lived a few doors down from me, so I gave them her back. Within 2 hours she was back in my yard, again I went and gave the cat back and the woman told me she was an indoor cat! The next day the cat was back, it had made a home in my shed, so I give her food & water and was waiting until her owners got her back, they never come back for her. So I took her in for company for my 7 year old male cat (he's been done) they get a long fine and love eachother. But, she is SO clingy! She follows me everywhere, licks my face and neck, headbutts me, she wants to be on me cuddling her constantly and if I don't let her or stroke her she screams at me until I do. I love her to bits but I've never known a cat to be this needy! Do you think it's because she's a "rescue" ? I feel guilty for leaving her in the house if I go out because she's like a new born baby! Is there anyway to get her more dependent so she's not just sitting crying at home for me to come home? And maybe let me have my leg room back lol
Sorry for the long post, thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150105_21_57_18_Pro.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	78930  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Cool Cat

Oh, she's adorable!! <3

Some cats are just more needy than others, and a really needy cat can be kind of annoying sometimes. The sort of almost over the top needy affection that you describe can sometimes be curbed to an extent with play. Since maintaining such a level of constant neediness requires a fair bit of energy, tiring kitty out with a couple of rigorous play sessions each day might help to calm her down a bit. Play is also a way for her to get to spend some quality time with you without being all over you. See if your other cat is interested in playing too; if they get into the habit of playing with you together with a toy like "Da Bird", your girl kitty may decide to divert some of her needy energy into playing with her brother, even when you aren't around. Enriching the home environment for your cats (or as Jackson Galaxy would say "catifying" your home) may also help to keep your girl from being at loose ends and trailing around after you all the time. Something as simple as relocating a chair in front of a window and tossing a handful of birdseed on the ground outside of it, or a couple of cat shelves to provide a high vantage point, or a cat tunnel for running through or hiding in can reduce a cat's stress and provide much needed mental stimulation.

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Kitten

My rescue was also clingy for the first few months. Playtime with you or your other cat may help. New toys, cat trees etc should occupy her time.
All the best. She sounds adorable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 PM
Premier Cat

Omg, that photo of her is precious! I can literally see *twinkles* in her eyes and that infamous kitty smile! Wow, she is gorgeous. Can't imagine why that couple didn't want to take her back?! But still, I guess this cat is/has chosen you over her original owners, and you can never really "make" a cat do anything if she's resistant to it.

Distraction is the best way to help her, and toys will probably be best. Perhaps a calming collar could work too, but I think she just needs to get used to being around you a bit more. How long has she been in your home? I'd be especially careful not to "baby" her--it could develop into seperation anxiety if she hasn't yet.

I think you can also search for related threads here about that. I'm sorry, I've no experience with it, but had to mention how lovely your kitty photo is!

All the best!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Cat

Both my kitties were like that during their kitten stage. As they grew older they are not as clingy. I miss their clingy love.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 PM
Cat

Some rescue cats are that way, particularly if they were separated from the mother too early. My old glorious golden fuzzball "RJ" (now RB at age seventeen) was that way for at least a year. He stuck to me like glue.

My recommendation, aside from being thankful that you're so loved! is to get several very nice cat toys for your cat to own and play with. Of course you know that already. It does help, maybe something springy and safe for individual play without the human to "operate" it. ha ha

What I also found out was that if I got several small cushiony pillows for RJ to lie upon, while being close to me, either when I was reading or working on the computer, or in bed. Having their own cushion lets the cat add its own scent to the pillow and it feels more homey. If the cat likes to lie on the pillow and also be close to you, you can sloooowly move the pillow a bit farther away each few days, creating a small separation space.

As for the cat crying, this is normal and there's really nothing you can do, except when you come home, pick the cat up and love the animal closely.

Our Bobby cat cries when my girlfriend is out of the house more than a couple hours, even when I'm home (he likes me but LOVES her) and even with our new adoptee Callie cat, Bobby still cries.

Incidentally, does your new cat have good hearing or is it deaf? Some mixed-eye white cats are deaf. If so, that's okay, but it gives you a focus for buying cat toys, skipping on the squeaky type and just getting the fuzzy and fun type.

And of course, you KNOW that you're lucky to be so loved, right? And yes, we all know that it's frustrating to have a sticky-cat shadow, but hey.... go for it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 AM
Cat Addict

I agree enjoy it now. Annoying or not. She may or may not grow out of it..

I haven't been to the bathroom alone in 21 years... BlackJack even times most of his litter use for when I am in there. so he can go too... Oh well I should be thankful he actually uses the pan LOL
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf&Endor View Post
Both my kitties were like that during their kitten stage. As they grew older they are not as clingy. I miss their clingy love.
I found this to be true too. Some of the foster kittens I've had had been super clingy but eventually outgrew it. I think once this kitten gets more settled in and comfortable she may settle down.

Are you going to let the neighbor know she is at your house a third time? If owner knows where you live and that the cat has a habit of coming over there I'd think she'd of showed up by now if she wanted the cat.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the replies! She is absolutely stunning! Oh don't get me wrong I do love the attention I get because she's not like that with my partner or anyone else, it's just when I'm asleep and I wake up to her licking my face and sucking on my eyelashes and falling over her as I'm trying to walk down the stairs/round the house that its gets a little annoying lol!
I've had her 6 months now, the neighbours know she was here and they see her sitting on my window so they know we have her & I don't think they're bothered. They have a big dog and a baby and they're always arguing in the street/have the police round there so as far as I'm concerned she is MY cat now, no way in this world I would give her back, plus she wouldn't want to.
I've got her some toys/scratching post etc but she doesn't seem to want to play with them as much as my other cat does.. I will have to have a look for other toys.. any suggestions on specific toys?
Yeah I read that white cats can be deaf, I don't think her hearing is really good because she doesn't look when you shout her or move something near her, not fully deaf but partly deaf I think.
All your cats sound so cute! they really are lovely when they're young lol I've just never had a cat this cuddly! xx
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Cat

If your new little friend is partly or fully deaf, it's essential that the cat not be allowed to get outside if possible. Deaf cats are very prone to dangers that hearing cats usually avoid. If the cat is however 100% indoor, they are happy, deaf or hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page