Cats and children - how do you cope? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cats and children - how do you cope?

We have just returned from holidays and have friends staying at our house. They have 2 young children, around 4 years and 6 years. They arrived the day before we got home.

Our boys have never been around kids before. They aren't too bad with new people anymore, they just come and go as they please. But with the kids, I can tell it's a lot harder for them. The kids are really good, they are just kids and want to pat them all the time. Plus sudden noises etc tend to spook the boys. The kids are really gentle and everything, they don't try to pick them up or chase them. Their parents are good telling them to leave them be and wait til they come to you, but again kids are kids and they tend to forget, going up to them and patting them when the kitties just want to do their own thing.

The boys came out a lot more yesterday and even played with the kids a little bit so it does seem they are getting more used to it. But this morning Panther didn't touch his food and was hiding in the bedroom (their 'safe room'). I brought him back out but he bolted straight away and I noticed how scared he was. I took his bowl into the room and he ate everything. I'm not sure what happened, but the young boy was near their food place so I thought maybe he tried to pat them while eating or something. I've told them to let the kitties eat quietly and not try to pat or talk to them while they are eating so I am not sure what actually happened.

I guess, I am looking for suggestions as this family are really good friends of ours that have just moved around the corner so we will be seeing them a lot. I don't want my kittens to be anxious every time the kids are around but I am not sure how to make the kids understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Tom Cat

My kittens hide when my grandkids come over. I think children are stressful for them when they're not used to it. If the kids are around a lot they might just get used to each other.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I hope so. The boys came out for their brekky this morning all excited, but as soon as Panther saw the little boy he skidded to a halt, hunched and scurried back to our bedroom. He wouldn't come out, so I had to feed him in there.

I think he must have got pet one day when he was trying to eat and got spooked. The kids are so sweet, but the kitties are my babies so its hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page