A cat found me/ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

A cat found me/

Hi fellow cat lovers, I have a bit of an issue and I'm not really sure what to. Well, not really an issue. I know what I should do, which is get rid of her by being aggressive-ish and not pulling stupid faces when she looks at me. I should get a micro-chipped cat flap and install that, so she cannot get in...

Anyway, about two months ago I was in the back garden playing with my two cats;

Barns: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...sy/Barns-1.jpg
Smegs: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/IMG_1031.jpg

When I looked up at our shed and saw this lovely, chunky, cat staring at me. So I said, "aren't you beautiful!", looked at her (sure its a female, even though she is really big and chunky) and smiled, she then made this loud scream and came down flopped at my feet and showed me her belly.

Well, since then she has invaded our house, much to the distress of our other cats. We have cat flap, that she continuously comes in; she has been going under our bath (we are decorating at the moment), so I put a blanket down for her as it was cold - I know, I should have not done this but still, she was coming in and I could not have her sitting on cold concrete. Since then, she is in every night and won't go - we have to spray her with water, but she comes back in. She comes over and eats our cats food.

And we, me and my partner, have made the situation worse - haha, she is one of the most vocal, beautiful, loving, affectionate and playful cats we have ever seen, she even makes Barns seem boring - we had this opinion of him, and for the life of me I just cannot be horrible to her, to make her go away. If I put the cat flap up, which annoys our cats because they can't go out (it also makes them think its the vets time - as we do this so we can get them in the cat carrier, which freaks them out), she sits there making noise as if she is in distress. And I cannot bear hearing cats in distress, freaks me out.

Also, our cats were in front room the other day, so we brought her upstairs and put her on the bed - both amazed at how loving she is, how much fun. It was like having a new toy to play with.

Here is a few pics of her;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jertsy/Bev.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jertsy/Bev2.jpg

She must have an owner or being fed, as she has a lovely coat and is not afraid of humans -well, I do find that cats come up to me in the street; I think they can tell if someone is a threat - even a 14.5 stone fairly big man like me.

I just wish my cats would come round to her, but its unlikely they will. They are 12/13 now and pretty set in their ways. Barns is not so bad, but Smegs is freaking out - he won't eat and looks panicky; which is wrong.

My partner says I'm being horrible towards them, but this cat - we call her Beral - is special. When we come in, she is on our begs, on the side in the kitchen and the cats do not seem to mind. Its only when she is near us do the cats seem to get the ass.

What would you do - I know the answer, haha. I should be faithful to my cats, who I love dearly, and put a cat flap up with a chip, so only they could get through it. But I would soooo love if we could keep her..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 06:28 AM
Premier Cat

What would I do?:
1. Try to find her owner through social media or posters put all around the neighborhood.
2. If no owner claims her, get her vet check to determine if she is healthy. (You cannot do this by just looking at her - she may have infectious diseases that can easily be passed on to your cats).
3. If vet checked ok, get her fixed ASAP.
4. Get another litter box and keep her. Your cats will get used to her in no time OR
5. Take her to the Humane Society as a stray.

I think being aggressive and making her turn away at this point is cruel. Where is she to go? You are feeding her, naming her, bringing her to your bed, and giving her a comfy place to sleep in already. As far as she is concerned she HAS found her home.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 AM
Cat Addict

Ditto Marcia. Get her checked for a chip, and then if there is you can find out if she is just lost or has been abandoned.
Assuming abandoned then go to the steps Marcia has put.
If you are keeping her then you will need to do proper introductions, regardless of the fact the cats have met, to ensure a proper long term relationship for all three cats. Jackson Galaxy has good info and videos on this.
I agree with Marcia it would be so unfair to just turn your back on her when you have pretty much already shown her love and affection. It would be so confusing for her especially as this may possibly have happened before.
Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
What would I do?:

I think being aggressive and making her turn away at this point is cruel. Where is she to go? You are feeding her, naming her, bringing her to your bed, and giving her a comfy place to sleep in already. As far as she is concerned she HAS found her home.
1+

She thinks she's found her home, so for you to push her out would confuse and upset her I imagine.

Take her to the vet to be scanned for a chip and examined. Get her vax up to date (if she's not chipped) and your kitties will have to get used to her. All kitties put up a fight at first but often they become friends
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:42 PM
Premier Cat

Yep, have a vet check her and keep her, if she has no owner. She is beautiful, obviously likes you, and the other cats will eventually accept her even if they never become best buds. Face it, you have been adopted!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Cat Addict

In total agreement with the others.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I sense a kind of tone in some of your replies - when I say being aggressive, I mean squirting her with water, no more. I would never scare a cat in a manly aggressive manner, I know it can scar a cat and make them afraid of humans. Also, I have taken about 7 cats from my area, over the years to the vets, when I see they are ill, or abandoned. I know for a fact there is nothing wrong with this cat, as there are no signs. When my black cat, Smegs, gets stressed he has trouble going to a toilet - I immediately notice this, as he will go under the bed and not come out, or sit on a paper bag (strange how they do little things like that differently when they are ill) so I always rush him in.

This cat has a home, for sure - she has a smell about her, kind of like old people smell, hah. She does not have a chip though, I have tried to feel for it. Sometimes she goes for a day, or two then comes back. But for the past three weeks, she has been in our house constantly. Suppose I'm just surprised at how lovely she is, and really want to keep her, but - as my partner says - I'm not taking into account our cats, and that I'm being "unfaithful" (as my partner jokingly says it, cow).

I will link a vid, please excuse the mess in my garden, as we are decorating at the moment - but this is the vid of the first time she come down from the shed, which I wrote about above. As you can see, from the vid, she does have a collar. Haha, you can see Smegs get the hump she was even in the garden, as he swips for me when trying to calm him.. He is a very ignorant cat sometimes, but very loving.

Like I said, suppose I'm just sharing my surprise in finding such a vocal, lovely cat - who is trusting and fun, but I can't keep her without pissing off my other cats! For example, the other night about 10, she come bursting upstairs and jumped my bed and dove under the covers and just sat there.. First time she has ever been upstairs, when we have been there. We had tried to push her out the cat flap, as the cats were eating; in a nice calm manner.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/Jertsy/Cat.mp4

Forgive my camera skills!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Premier Cat

90% of microchips cannot be felt. Please take her to a bonafide vet or shelter to be scanned. That is the only reliable means of testing. If you find she does have a microchip contact her owner and ask them to please come get her. If she is indeed owned by someone else then you need to know this for certain.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes, I shall take her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page