Kat, Oliver and Tino. Advice needed - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kat, Oliver and Tino. Advice needed

Hello....
Looking for advice on a problem.
We saved a 6 week old kitten (Oliver, male) 2 days prior to Thanksgiving....
Long story..
We have a 15 year old cat (Kat, female) and a 15 years old dog (Tino, male)
Ive had cats all my life 50 years.
15 year old Kat is NOT getting along with new Oliver no matter what Ive done.
Id like to post the situation and what Ive done to resolve it and then ask for some advice on the subject.
Two days before Thanksgiving we acquired a new kitten.
30 degrees outside, sleeting and a horrible night.
Kitten decides to find our back patio door.
Dog barks to let us know an intruder is amongst us.
So, we were left without much of a choice.
Flea ridden, all bones, hungry, mites, worms and such a cute face
We took him in. We knew he wasn't going to make it thru the night.
Got him fed, clean and healthy.

So...cliffs...

We kept Oliver in our bedroom and bathroom for about 10 days. Let Kat smell us to get used to his scent. Cat did NOT like the scent. Hissing..lots of it.
Then we brought them out, some distance apart. Cat still hissing and very upset.
We kinda let them go, and since
Kat is front declawed and fixed...
Tino doesnt much care one way or the other about Oliver..at all.
So now we have Kat upstairs in a bedroom and bathroom, and Oliver downstairs in a bedroom and bathroom...both get equal run of the house at separate times.

Its not either cats fault…
Its just Oliver (new cat) is SOOOOO fricken playful.
Oliver will attack ANTHING that moves and even stuff that doesn’t move.
He’ll jump on Tinos head, grab his tail..Tino doesn’t care.

When Oliver and Kat meet, Oliver has NO sense of fear. Oliver thinks Kat is a play toy.
When Kat bats at Oliver, Oliver thinks Kat is playing. Trust me, Kat is NOT playing.

Kat is 6 x the size of Oliver and has her rear claws. The ‘real’ fight would last seconds.

How do I get Kat cats to at least tolerate Oliver?
Wait until Oliver gets over his ‘playful kitten stage?’
The changing of the guards..I would like to stop.

poorly written sorry.....

I need to get Kat at least 'used' to Oliver but Oliver is too playful and won't leave Kat alone when we put them in the same room.
Oliver doesnt have a lick (pun) of sense in his head. Im convinced, if left alone, Kat wouyld terar oliver apart in a matter of seconds..thats how bad the reaction has been.
Even though Ive had cats 50 years..its been decades since Ive had a kitten.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to get Kat to at least tolerate Oliver....

Last edited by Jamesnns; 01-09-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Cat Addict

Oliver is too young to have learned cat etiquette from mom and siblings. You have your work cut out doing it for them!

Looks like you need to go back to square one with a slow intro. It can take a bit to do with Kat feeling put upon by an unruly toddler.

here is an article that is a general big help.

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

oh and some feliway probably wouldn't hurt. As well as Da Bird toy for burning kitten energy.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Here's my first thoughts...
Re introduce them twice a day...separate, but close enough to see each other.
Five days...2-3 x a day (this will require a LOT of effort on our part)

I have a dog pen (4 feet x 6 feet), a wire crate that we used when Tino was a puppy, use chicken wire (or something) in the middle of it and put one cat in each side. They cant touch each other...but they'll either get used to each other or Kat will go to sleep hissing and Oliver will just get bored.
Im sure that would cause some mental trauma to Kat...Oliver would just think its a play pen.

Prob not a good idea, what do you think?

I have GOT to do something.....
Btw..we're NOT giving up Oliver..we WILL struggle on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Cat Addict

My first thoughts are to do a proper re-introduction following steps layed out in the article mentioned by BotanyBlack.

Introducing a 15 year old to a kitten will be a lot of effort. No question about it. If you're keeping the kitten no matter what, try doing a proper re-intro.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Cat Addict

I think the dog pen route would not be a great idea. Kat would feel trapped with no where to go. even if Oliver is on the other side of a fence. This could and most probably will build up a very bad association with the kitten. Kat needs to be able to "get away" and retreat to process that her world has been invaded by a tiny unruly stranger. It would be all fun and games for Oliver since he never learned Kitty etiquette and would put undue stress on the senior. Esp. since she is front declawed. Retreat is one of her fall backs. and you don't want her to resort to biting as a defense.

Basically her retirement home is being invaded by a hyper kindergartner. So go slow.

Your better off leaving Kat to the house and giving Oliver a safe Kitten room to stay in. Do the meets and greets slow and let the cats set the pace.
I have fostered kittens for 20+ years with cats 16 - 19 years of age as the resident cats.

Try a vigorous play session with Oliver before any meet and greets to bleed off his energy. A tired kitty is way better then a hyper bored one! Get a laser pointer or wand toy and run him silly for at least 10 - 20 minutes!!

OH BTW congrats on wanting to see this through!! It is worth all the time and effort to have a calm home.

Last edited by BotanyBlack; 01-09-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I agree...a new reintroduction is needed. I thought the 'pen ' idea was bad too..I was just thinking out loud..life around here gets tiring..lol.

Both cats have 'safe' rooms..way more than needed. Both have 900sq feet, food, water, litter boxes.
Atm, we're swapping "out of room' times to give each cat a fair shot at the rest of the house. Both are equally happy when 'out'

Oliver is happy no matter. Oliver is young and full of energy and thinks everything is a toy..Kat is older, less active and just wants to get petted.

Btw..Oliver NEVER gets tired. I cant quite figure it out. I tried, many times to get him tired. It just doesnt happen.

The good news is...neither are peeing anywhere they shoundt during their respective 'out' times. Kat did poop on the comforter in her bedroom after the first time they met but hasnrt since. So thats good.

Last edited by marie73; 01-09-2015 at 04:57 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ill start the reintroductions tomorrow.

I thought we were making progress there for a little while in the beginning.
Kat would sit on the couch (her morning perch) and Oliver would play on the floor. Kat didnt do much but her eyes NEVER left where Oliver was. No grumbles, no hissing..I thought that was good.
Then Oliver would get too close and Kat would hiss, growl, bat...and Oliver didnt care or even really notice. Oliver decided Kat was a toy. It got worse the nexrt few times...and thats when we went separate rooms and seperate times of run of the house.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittys Mom View Post
My first thoughts are to do a proper re-introduction following steps layed out in the article mentioned by BotanyBlack.

Introducing a 15 year old to a kitten will be a lot of effort. No question about it. If you're keeping the kitten no matter what, try doing a proper re-intro.
Proper?
Sorry. Im trying to do my best with this situation.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Cat Addict

sounds like you are doing pretty good!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

We'll get there....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page