Your sentiments towards caged cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Your sentiments towards caged cats

I just wanted your opinions on caged cats. I came clean about Sora and Crookshanks to my parents yesterday and they said they were willing to make a compromise. I could keep them, but they would have to be put in cages when I'm not around, like when I'm at school or when I'm out; they can only come out when I'm there to watch over them. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Premier Cat

TikiQT,
I think it depends on the size of the "Cage" you're thinking of...
They need freedom to move around in, and use a litter box, and you can't put the food and water next to the litter box...
So, it's got to be of a good size...

No chance of them having a designated room, like a spare bedroom or??

Hope other's have some ideas for you...
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

I agree You could probably build a BEAUTIFUL cat condo that's spacious and a dream for them to live in when you're not home.

If I were given this choice I would cage them when I was gone, but I'd make sure those cages were paradise and that I made up for their incarceration with TONS of extra play and attention when I got home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Premier Cat

I have these for my caged foster kittens. Lots of room and you could put a shelf in there for a second level.

Is there any reason you just can't leave your bedroom door closed when you are not home?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, I didn't realize that you had snuck them in!! Your parents may eventually change their minds when they see that they're not tearing the place apart (but they're so young that it'll take a while...), but if you have your own bedroom, could you just close them in there?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Yes, that's what I plan to eventually do, but even if they were in my bedroom they would still need to put in cages.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM
Cat Addict

I'd go ahead and get two cages like Marcia suggested. As babies they can be in one together, but when they're bigger they might need more room - or not, it'll depend on their personalities.

If you can you can rig a way to connect the two cages, so they can have a bigger space.

IMO it's better for them to be caged when you're out than to be homeless. So go for it!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM
Jr. Cat

I use cages for my fosters too.

I buy them from Amazon. They are 49x30x36 with 3 doors. I buy heavy duty wire shelving that's meant for closet organization at Home Depot and use clear zip ties to hold them in the cage. There's more than enough room to play.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1421791186.440549.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	79810
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Premier Cat

nibbles-mommy, what a great idea for the ledge!! You are smart!! I built a ledge for one of my cages and it was a real task - came out nice but not very practical when the cage has to be collapsed. I like your idea much better! I have the same sized cages but it has 2 door - one on the end and one on the side. I have them up on folding tables so I can get into it without bending over so much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Penny in her cage (2).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	79818  

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Jr. Cat

Thanks Marcia! When I started taking in the friendly strays out front I felt real bad to use cages but I concocted this design and they love it. They stay in there when I'm not home and then they have free reign. But I also like to keep them in there after getting fixed for recovery. There's 2 perches in each cage. And I get screw on crate bowls from petsmart so the food and water is on the ground and they have room to play. They have a bed under the perch and big litter boxes on the other end. I love the 3 door cages, I love using the top door for easy access and the front for them to come in and out. I never use the side door.

They actually go lay in their cages when the doors are open.

Here's a pic of the shelving I use. And I secure it with zip ties that can easily be cut when breaking down.

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1421811510.756092.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	79834

Here I zip tied 2 48" cages together for a stray that was in the garage during the cold weather. She since ha found a home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page