Cat Forum banner

Charli and two new kittens

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Sabrina767 
#1 ·
So many of you have been through this, I just need a little advice. I have two rescue kittens that have been here since Dec. 16. We dealt with fleas, worms, other stuff, now all is well and I've been slowing trying to introduce them to my 11 month old Charli (female) Both kittens are female and their birthdate is estimated at 10/20 putting them at approx. 12 weeks old now. They have their own room, and they were all playing under door since about a week and a half after I got them, as I had to wait until their first vet visit before I would let them near each other. Since then, I can now open door and Charli goes in for brief visits. All goes well and has since first visit, no growling, no hissing, Charli does a lot of "trilling" as does one of the kittens, Maggie. Occasionally Charli will bop someone on the head, but it is not accompanied by any noises, or hissing or raised fur. The first time she did it was because Maggie (the other kitten is Rosie) kept chasing her tail and she did it to make Maggie stop, and it worked, no more chasing of Charli's tail. They bump noses, and seemingly try to awkwardly play. Charli is so much bigger. Today Charli was in their play tunnel with Maggie on the outside and they were playing with each other. Then Charli came out and attempted to chase Maggie a bit and swatted at her. I got nervous and tried not to intervene. Kitten ran, safe distance, and sat down. Charli sniffed her head to tail, and went about walking around the room again. This little chase scene played out a few more times, with both kittens at some point being chased a bit by Charli. Charli would chase and swat, but I have trouble knowing if this is normal play, or if I should be concerned. I clapped my hands loudly at one point, as I got nervous, and everyone immediately stopped in tracks and just looked at me. I just need to ask, is this chasing, slapping thing normal? Should I let it go? I see the kittens do it with each other, but I get scared with my Charli, as she's just so much bigger. She has never hissed, nor growled, nor has she approached them with ears back or anything like that. But I still get nervous and am not sure what is just normal behavior establishing herself as the boss here or just regular play or what. She herself is pretty much still a kitten, she will be 11 months old on the 14th of this month. Thanks for any input you can provide...nervous kitty mom here. :) I just want everyone to get along

See less See more
#2 ·
You are very lucky to have a well socialized Charli who has taken it upon herself to "mother" these two kittens. Everything you describe is perfectly normal way for her to discipline kittens to correct behavior she doesn't like, eg.chasing her tail. I think you have a very harmonious "clowder" and there is no need to intervene at all, just enjoy the comical antics of these three girls. :D

#3 ·
I agree with above. Seems she has taken it upon herself to teach these little ones cat etiquette. They are responding in kind. Sounds like they are a well integrated family at this point. The small chase can lead up to a great game of "catch me if you can" but is initially a "Your in my space"

#4 ·
As the previous posts, this is all normal and sounds like excellent signs of a great family. It can be hard to know sometimes whether to intervene as it can look a lot more rough or aggressive than it really is. The swatting is all about boundaries. If at any point Charli was too rough the kittens will cry to tell her know and she should just stop even if a second. I have been mistaken a few times with my girls and intervened only to be looked at by both like I just ruined their whole game, then off they go again.

#5 ·
I can't describe how relieved I am at your responses!! THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to post for me, I have been so worried about this. Phew! I will continue with the supervised visits and I'll try to be less "overbearing" on the three of them. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted!

#6 ·
Sabrina,
I concur with the others here! Sounds like everything is going very well!
Also Charli being a little older and bigger, will just remove herself to some place higher, if she needs a break from them!;):D
Sharon

#7 ·
I think it's going great! TBH I'd skip the 'visits' and let your monsters free to roam whenever you're home. It sounds like Charli is being a great big sister, and the kittens are happily learning their manners.

Go for it!

When my boys were little I only intervened when one kitten cried (very different from a usual meow, or complain - you'll know the difference when you hear it) and the other kitten didn't back off. You need to give the 'aggressor' a chance to back off BEFORE you intervene so they learn to listen to their kitty sibling's objections.

#8 ·
Well, I tried to get babies to come out and explore, so I opened their door, closed bathroom doors, closed my bedroom door and other bedroom, that leaves hallway and stairs to come down, hoping to "steer" them to the downstairs (They've already been exploring in my bedroom and I'm trying to get them to see rest of house). Well, in goes Charli, and everyone just pokes around her, follows her, and no one leaves. So I go down hall, call Charli...she comes out to me at top of stairs, little ones start to follow, she sees them coming, does this little "trilling" noise, and goes back in their room and they follow! No one will come out now! LOL! So they are chasing a bit, batting a bit, sitting on the window seat gazing outside a bit...then the two kittens decide to eat, Charli can't have their food so I put down some of her special treats, everyone is chomping....I go in hallway hoping Charli will follow, instead she goes and curls up in a basket in their room, and the little ones sit happily by cleaning their little faces. No one will come out! LOL! Now I'm downstairs starting dinner, had to close off the kittens as I need to feed Charli her dinner... I'll try again I guess, but it seems good, they just all want to stay in there. I can't leave them completely unattended yet, as I can't have Charli going in their litter box. Both kittens had worms, they have been dewormed once three weeks ago and again a few days ago, but they don't go back to vet until 23rd and that's when I bring another fecal, so until then I'm afraid to leave Charli alone up there, as even when I'm there she's waaaay too interested in that litter box...silly girl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.