Considering a second one - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Considering a second one

This is kind of crazy but I am considering another young cat or kitten to be a playmate for Agnes. I have been reading about how kittens do best in pairs and while I am able to give Agnes lots of love and a decent amount of play, sometimes it seems like her energy is boundless. My son has special needs and I sometimes feel I am not devoting enough play time to her. A few weeks ago my son had to be hospitalized (he is ok) and while my friend was able to feed her and clean her box during that time she was mostly alone. I felt bad about that, and when we got home she was stuck on me like glue for a few days.

So those of you with two. What do you like and what do you not like about it? What behaviors do you think are very different with a pair? And as far as care. I know two cats need three boxes but how many cat trees and how many scratchers do you have?

Thanks guys. I have already sent one tentative inquiry so we'll see about that. If not that cat I am not sure how aggressively I will pursue this. I may just keep my eyes peeled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

There are no "rules" about anything. I have one litterbox and three cats. At one time, I had six cat trees. Now I have none, but my girls have lots of windows they can see out of and several high places they can hang out on.

If you want another cat, Agnes is at a perfect age to add another kitty.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 01-12-2015 at 03:48 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I am kind of thinking double cats equals double love. My biggest concern is that it could also equal double trouble! I certainly have room in my heart for another but I think it will have to be the right one. Agnes is a huge type A personality, super playful, Velcro cat, extremely bold and curious. My main requirement for another is a slightly more laid back or type B personality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Well, my bratz taught Cleo all their bad habits. She was pretty much what you're looking for - until they got a hold of her. My twinz are not called the "bratz" for nothing. But to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way. Their antics make me laugh every day and now I wouldn't want laid back cats. (most of the time)

If you want a kitty to play with Agnes, "laid back" isn't what you should be looking for anyway, really. She needs another kitty with energy to burn.

If you don't want that, maybe you should reconsider a second kitten. Two kittens can be hard, and single cats are very happy cats and love having their person all to themself. Cinderella neither needed nor wanted more cats in the house.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:41 PM
Cool Cat

I can tell you one thing... getting a kitten to be Ellie's companion was the BEST decision I EVER MADE. I got Ellie in October of 2013... at the time, my boyfriend and I could only comfortably afford and handle one kitten. We adored her... but boy, she was a big handful. Constantly attacking our ankles, constantly acting out and being obnoxious, always over-bored, no matter how much we played with her. We knew she needed a friend, especially since she is very attached to us and got incredibly lonely when we left her.

So fast forward to 2014... we got Tootsie, a kitten from Ellie's same breeder, as Ellie's companion a little after Ellie's first birthday. It took about 2-3 days for Ellie to accept Tootsie, and then they instantly became best buddies. From this time on... they played perfectly together. They cuddled, played, ate, did everything together, and still do to this day. Tootsie was an angel of a kitten (still is!) because Ellie would put her in her place and tire her out with playtime... and vice versa. Ellie has been an absolute ANGEL since we brought Tootsie home. She finally isn't bored! I have not been bitten or play-attacked by a kitten since. Now my kitties are just little angels. And I mean that! I honestly can't believe Tootsie is still only 6 months old... I feel like I have two super well-behaved adult cats that are a little more playful lol.

Seriously, in the future, I will never... never adopt a kitten without adopting a second as their companion. I learned that the hard way with Ellie! Ellie was by no means a bad kitten, she is a Persian so was honestly a little more calm by nature. But she was bored and always acting out, and getting Tootsie cured that for sure, and made my relationship leaps and bounds better with Ellie because I'm not yelling "no!" at her constantly anymore for acting up! haha.

I have two litter boxes, two cat trees, and a bunch (4-6) of cardboard scratchers dispersed throughout the apartment, as well as some toys for them to play with. They are eachother's shadows, so they are always on the same cat tree, or playing together with the same toy, etc.

I will say though, I feel like it's important to try to find a kitten with a similar temperament and personality to your current cat. Tootsie ended up being an absolutely perfect match for Ellie, and they've been inseparable since. They're both very sweet, laid-back cats. Ellie is a little more fearful, whereas Tootsie is more fearless and outgoing... so they balance eachother out perfectly!

Good luck if you do get another kitty!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Tom Cat

I prefer having two cats. They still like time with me but if I can't be around they are happy to play with each other- and they really do! Originally we had our one 9 month old and then we took in a 6 month old foster kitten. After a slow introduction they got along so well that I was able to talk my husband into keeping the foster because our original cat bonded so much with the little guy. She will groom him head to toe and he just soaks up all the attention. They play fight and take turns with the wand toy during interactive playtime.

The other nice thing is that our older cat was getting a bit heavy and we were starting to hear warnings from our vet. But she gets more exercise now and has lost the little bit of extra weight the vet was concerned about.

The downside of having two cats really is all about the cost. It's twice the vet bills for routine maintenance and food/ litter expenses increase too. That's the biggest drawback imo.

Your house will be noisier with two cats too. Most of the time they will laze around (together or apart) but somewhere in the evening they will both go briefly crazy and zoom around the house. One cat alone will just bolt around but when there are two they bolt around and then at each other- maybe play fight a little. They will be jumping on chairs and sliding on throw rugs etc. Basically it's cat chaos x2. For us it's a wonderful and entertaining thing to see but I can see how some people could find it distracting.

Having two cats does not feel like extra work to me. Feeding and cleaning up after two doesn't take much more than doing it for one. We had three litter boxes going for a while at first but they found their favorite and didn't use the other two so we have phased them out.

We don't have any real cat trees but we keep the tops of furniture clear so they have plenty of surfaces to lay on and run across. We have a large woven basket on top of our dresser that they both cuddle in. I don't think you really need to increase the number of scratchers with a second cat. They will share just fine. Just make sure they have both horizontal and vertical scratchers in any room they spend a lot of time in.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 PM
Tom Cat

I find that having 2 kittens is MUCH easier than just the one. When Cheddar was beginning to be more playful, he would harass the dogs in kitten style play which is different than dogs, mostly because of size difference and teeth. He would attack their tails and grab hold of it with teeth and paws. I'm lucky that they are very patient with him but I could tell he was beginning to annoy them with that. When I brought Devon in and they met, it was play, play, play, play until they tired themselves out. Cheddar no longer bugs the dogs, so it was really a win-win situation here. They are very bonded with each other, but still affectionate with us. I wouldn't have it any other way, 2 cats always here.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks ladies for your insights! That thing about the personalities playing off each other, I hadn't thought about.

Mandy and Ellie your thoughts about Ellie before u got Tootsie are pretty much spot on for my feelings about Agnes right now. She is a good kitty but I am having trouble keeping up with her, especially with the attention my son needs.

One more question. Did anyone find a difference in bonding between the sexes? I believe the kitten I enquired about is a male. I haven't heard from them yet though so it may be nothing.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 PM
Premier Cat

My first cat was 3-4 months old when I adopted her. She was an only kitten, and I had no idea how much energy kittens have. I also had no idea how entertaining they could be, although she drove me out of my mind sometimes. After that, I decided that a) I'd adopt two kitties the next time and b) I was too old to be playing with kittens and would adopt only adult kitties.

I had two litter boxes for two cats and 3 trees - although 2 of them were used exclusively by one cat. The trees were also scratching posts, but I had 2 separate scratching posts. That was because one of my cats would only scratch carpet. She hated sisal, whereas my other one only scratches sisal. So it might be good for you to have two different surfaces to see if they have a preference. I just bought one that has 3 different posts, one is sisal, one carpet, and one cedar.

The behaviors are going to depend on personality. My two lived together for 13 years (Margaux passed away last month) and were never friends, although I think Celia would have loved to have a best friend. Margaux would have been absolutely fine - probably happier - being an only kitty. Celia though seems to need company, so I'm thinking of fostering a cat to see how it goes.

I agree that it really doesn't take much more time to take care of 2 kitties rather than 1, but I did find it difficult sometimes to make sure I was giving each one equal attention. I was often petting one with the left hand the other with the right hand, and every time, I wished I had more hands.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:46 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaughunter View Post
Mandy and Ellie your thoughts about Ellie before u got Tootsie are pretty much spot on for my feelings about Agnes right now. She is a good kitty but I am having trouble keeping up with her, especially with the attention my son needs.

One more question. Did anyone find a difference in bonding between the sexes? I believe the kitten I enquired about is a male. I haven't heard from them yet though so it may be nothing.
I personally chose a girl because she seemed to have a really similar temperament as Ellie, and the breeder suggested getting a girl because she would be a similar size to Ellie (smaller), and less of a threat, since Ellie is a little bit of a scaredy cat! My breeder also said she had seen same-sex pairs succeed slightly more, but opposite sex pairs can also work really well. She said in general, she sees females being a little more calm than their male counterparts, so boys can sometimes intimidate female cats (particularly older ones). I'm sure a boy would be just fine... it's all about the temperament of the kitty! And getting them young helps tremendously in terms of acceptance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page