I Think the OddOne has Lost It - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question I Think the OddOne has Lost It

You all are going to get so sick of me posting, I swear.
I recently became the owner of a full length free standing mirror. Now, I am not saying that my cat is completely brainless, although a sack of hammers shows more intelligence at times......
He isn't attacking it, but he stops and stares, and he paws at it. Then he steps back and looks behind it, sometimes with a questioning chirp. Today, I was making the bed and I noticed he was standing in front of the mirror and scratching at the wood like he does around the sides of his litter box. I am not sure what that means, and I really hope not to come home one day and discover a little gift in front of the mirror. I snapped my fingers at him and made a noise I use to tell him to stop, and he did, but he was doing it again when I went to turn in.
When we lived in a house I would leave the inside front door open, and he would sit on a stool and watch the neighbors cats come onto the porch. He never hissed or freaked out.
Now that we are in an apartment, with HUGE windows, I might add, there is a grey grouch that comes by and sits under my windows. Odd loses his mind! He grunts and pants, and yowls like someone is torturing him.
I wonder if he will start attacking the mirror next?
Any weird stories to share? I am just hoping this is normal cat behavior, because I have never had a full length mirror before, but I have had cats.
Thanks for listening!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 10:50 PM
Premier Cat

Oddthomas hasn't "Lost it" yet!
Pretty normal for a cat discovering a mirror for the first time! Let him check it out freely, he'll figure it out!
I wouldn't worry about him doing 'something' by the mirror, the only cat he'll be smelling is himself!

About the other cat, it could be that the ones, who used to come up on your porch were spayed/neutered, and the "grouch" sitting under your window, isn't!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:21 AM
Premier Cat

Yeah, I tend to agree with Sharon. My two aren't fazed by any mirrors at all, but one has a very bad habit of jumping on my bathroom sink and opening the mirrored medicine cabinet above it and taking his naughty paw to knock things down from there.

I think you might want to consider some sort of "sight blocker" on your extra large window (especially the lower areas) so your Oddthomas doesn't freak out or worse yet, start urinating/spraying due to stress/anxiety that the grey grouch is "invading" his territory. I'd place a litter box right by the window, just in case, too. Better in the box than on your floors. Maybe with the sight blocker in place, the grey grouch will no longer be interested in coming to visit Oddthomas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

From what I have learned, this grouch was visiting the prior tenants cat too. I have looked into the view blocker thing and that is a good idea. I don't have to worry about the cat right now, it is very cold in the winter here,and he hasn't been outside since the cold snap started.
I am hoping the view blockers work, because I don't relish the idea of a litter box in my bedroom, lol.
As for the mirror? He is too funny. One day he might figure it out, til then, I am going to enjoy his antics.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

About the cats on the porch. This is where it gets weird I guess. They belong to the neighbors, and they were mostly kittens, none of them fixed. They would sit on the rails, lie on the porch, walk up to the screen door and sniff at Odd, he would sniff back, and he never freaked out.
Since we moved into this apartment though, he has changed his tune. Our first week here he growled at the windows, and freaked if leaves blew across the parking lot! This grey grouch that started coming by goes from window to window because there is a ledge he can climb on. I am going to put up view blockers once the weather turns warmer. I don't need Odd marking his territory, lol.
Thanks for replying to my post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page