Litter box training - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Litter box training

I have a few questions about litter box training, as I've read in a book that kittens more or less learn how to use them from watching their mums use it. First, can I litter box train them to use the litter box that's inside of the cage or should I leave one outside the cage as well? Second, should it be 1 cat to one litter box or can it be two cats to one litter box? And third, can I use cut out cardboard bottoms for litter boxes or is it more ideal to get a pan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Cat Addict

You can put litter boxes wherever you like. I'd suggest having at least 1 (big one!) in the cage, and one outside it as well.

The formula for litter boxes is: # of cats + 1 = # of boxes. So for 2 cats you should have 3 boxes. When they're in their cage/pen don't bother with cluttering it up with 3 litter boxes, they won't be far enough apart for it to matter. Use 1 larger box, a plastic tub with a hole cut in it can also double as an extra kitty perch so that's what I'd use.

You can use cardboard if you like...but it'll get messy very fast IME. I'd just get a pan or plastic tub.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:14 PM
Premier Cat

You can use anything for a pan. We use the cardboard trays at the shelter all the time. They last for days. A dish pan could be used too, really anything that has a fairly low side is fine however, I've seen the tiniest kittens crawl into a full size litter box - they take to it pretty readily so as long as you have plenty scattered around their play area you should be fine. I have 4 babies in my foster room since they were about 4 weeks old and I have 4 boxes in there all scattered around the perimeter of the room. I've only seen one accident.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM
Cat Addict

Kittens do take them readily. Just remember to put a box nearby where you spend time watching them play as Marcia said above.. kittens tend to "forget" they need to go til the very last possible second. then rush to one.. use it and rush off.. sometimes forgetting to cover in their hurry. don't worry MOST grow out of this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Should I carry them into the litter box so they get the idea? Or should I leave them to discover that on their own?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Cat Addict

Show it to them. and don't be afraid to leave a poo in each so they get the idea.. Kind of seed the boxes a bit.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm so proud!

I'm so proud of Sora and Crookshanks! They've both learned how to use the litter box which means they get to move into my bedroom. Should I just scoop out the clumped up bits of litter and leave the rest? I get my litter in 3 kilo bags, so I have to buy them quite often.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Cat Addict

That's great news. For cleaning, the remove poop and pee clumps once or twice a day and yes leave the rest. I sift through all the litter with a scoop to ensure nothing smelly got left. When the litter gets low in the box or smelly then throw the remaining litter and wash the box and start again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page