Cat wakes us up at night - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat wakes us up at night

We have two cats, aged 12 (BooBoo) and 1.5 (Bob). Bob keeps waking us up at night. Most of the time he pounces on BooBoo, who sleeps in bed with us, and they start tussling/fighting. Once it starts he doesn't really settle down. I'm at my wits end- we both work during the day but try to play with him a lot at night. Best case scenario we wear him out enough on the weekends that he doesn't start at it until 3-4AM (vs. 1-2AM other nights). We will often put him in time out (in the finished basement or guest bedroom) once he is up so we can get some sleep. If we can catch him that is- he either knows whats coming or thinks its a game (or both) and will run away and hide. A few times I have pre-emptively put him in isolation at bedtime but I think it makes him scared and confused. I don't want to lock him away but can't deal with contant interrupted sleep! It also stresses out our older cat (who has feline asthma). Any recommendations? Should we just seperate Bob for the time being and hope he gets used to sleeping in the guest bedroom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Cat Addict

I have a cat that likes to play at night and wake everyone up. He sleeps in his bedroom at night. He goes up when I go to bed, and he has learned that nighttime is for sleeping. I don't think it's a bad thing to put him up at night, many people do this because cats are notorious for interrupting sleep. Yes, my cat cries a little when we put him up. But he settles down in about 5 minutes, and then he goes to sleep. We wake up very early, at 5:30 am, and then he comes out of his room. I would not feel guilty about putting him up in a bedroom, or some other room that has a door that closes. Make sure he has his litter box and a comfy place to sleep, he'll be fine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:07 AM
Premier Cat

Ditto, I tried leaving Neelix out at night but he's a PiTA. Now when he gets his last meal @ 8:30 he just stays inside his room all night instead of being let out after he finishes eating.

I have a soft blanket on an armchair in there and a towel over a wooden trunk. There's a big teddy bear he loves to cuddle with. I keep the heat a tiny bit higher in that room so he won't get a chill.

He has water and litter box in there.

Expect screaming and yelling at first, but if you don't respond it'll stop. It may take a long time but it will atop. Neelix only yells when he hears me moving around the apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Cat Addict

I close my bedroom door.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks guys! Sounds like a separate setup for him may be the best solution for everyone for now. I have tried just closing the door but he (or they, if both are out) claw at and make noise right outside the door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page