How can I transition a cat back into the household after surgery? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How can I transition a cat back into the household after surgery?

I have a 3 year old male that recently had the PU surgery for urinary blockage. He spent a little over 3 weeks secluded in a bedroom while recuperating. Now that he has the cone off and we've opened the door for him to do as he wants, there is hissing and running away from my other 6 cats that he normally always played and got along with. Will this get better and is there anything I can do to help it go back to the way they were?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Try the vanilla trick - put a drop of vanilla on the back of the necks of all your cats, then rub the same towel all over all of them (even their rumps, since that's where they seem to meet-and-greet each other). This will make them smell the same, which might help.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Premier Cat

You can try some Fel-i-way calming diffusers. Sorry your boy is going through this. Poor guy - surgery was bad enough but now his buds are dissing him.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I will try that! Thank you!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:42 PM
Premier Cat

MowMow had surgery back in July and Book was *REALLY* suspicious of him when he came home.

I kept the door open and put up 2 gates so they could sniff noses (and so MowMow couldn't move around too much and pull any stitches). It took Book about 2 weeks before he was completely back to normal with MowMow. Even after I felt safe letting them out together he would still hiss if MowMow came to close... and of course MowMow would hiss back because he ALWAYS hisses when anyone comes too close.

I think that was about when I added a second Feliway in the apartment. I also did the vanilla thing and towel rubbing thing (even before I opened the door and put up the gates). I also did some scent swapping. Switching rooms so they could get a good wiff if each other.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Cat Addict

He may still be feeling kinda crappy - that's major surgery and while he's well into healing he may still feel vulnerable. I'm a big fan of using distractions when re-introing.

Start by doing the vanilla trick, then dump a bunch of kibbles or treats on the floor just outside his bathroom and spread them out. Then open the door and let everyone eat together. As long as there's just a little hissing and growling it should be fine - any real aggression will mean you have to do a full re-introduction...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page