Kitty's been pooping on the floor - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitty's been pooping on the floor

I just recently graduated and started work. As a grad student, I worked maybe equally at home and in the office. Now, I'm away every day, and after a few weeks of this she started pooping on the floor.

Is this possibly a sign of protest, or am I reading too much into it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Cat Addict

cats usually do not skip using a pan just to protest. It is not how they think. Any other things off? How often do you clean the pan? I would rule out medical issues before jumping right to. "mad at me"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cleaned every morning and evening, haven't really changed the schedule on that. She doesn't get fed lunch when I'm away, would that affect anything? Though she's used to that from before (if not as often).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Cat Addict

How old is you cat?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I am not sure, I adopted her about 2 years ago and the previous owner said she was about 11 at the time.

She used to have many health issues (diarrhea, frequent vomiting, rashes all over) due to having food allergies that none of her previous owners were aware of. In our first year we used a prescription diet to identify all of her allergies, which is almost everything, and she's been pretty healthy since then.

Is any of that related? Her current pooping problem isn't the diarrhea she used to have.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 PM
Cat Addict

That would put her around 13. I would schedule a vet visit, if you haven't already. Have them run a senior blood panel. Paying attention to the thyroid. when my seniors started missing the pan. once on thyroid meds. the missing became less frequent. But they also had some vomiting (especially if they missed a meal)

Also look for signs of arthritis. Cats are good at hiding it. She is at a good age to have some arthritis showing up.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Will do, thanks for the advice!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Cat Addict

good luck. This is a good start. Hope you can find the issue early and get her on the right path!

other might chime in here with other ideas So keep us updated.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:16 PM
Premier Cat

She's using her box to pee, just not to poop? Is it every time or sometimes? My cat occasionally poops out of her box, and I could swear sometimes that it's because she's mad at me. But it's not. It's that whatever situation is making me feel that she's mad at me is not making her mad, but it's making her upset and stressing her. And that can lead to medical issues.

In addition to what BotanyBlack has mentioned, she may be constipated or have colitis, which would make her associate pain while pooping with the litterbox. My cat has suffered from both. Have you noticed that she's straining, or taking a long time in the box, maybe doing more scratching in the box than usual?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yup, still pees in the box. NO weird scratching or anything, she doesn't seem to be behaving any differently when I'm around. She just poops on the floor sometimes when I'm gone.

I'll ask the vet about all of these possibilities, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page