Oh Man :( Dexter doesn't use the box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Oh Man :( Dexter doesn't use the box

Guys it's been like 18 hours and Dexter hasn't used his litter box. I just took him into the bathroom with me and he tried to pee on the rug! I picked him up and held him over the sink but a little still got on the rug. Help me out guys. I am freaking out a little. I just ordered some Natures Miracle for cats and some Cat Attract litter that will be here Saturday. What can I do until then.? I am currently using World's Best. Agnes has never had a problem with it or with using a box for that matter. He is scheduled to see the vet on Tuesday so we can rule out a health issue. Honestly though I think it is social/learned. The lady I adopted him from had 9 cats in a two bedroom apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Correction, it's been over 24 hours since I brought him home. I can't think before 9 am. And to complicated matters my husband is being unreasonable. Other than the cat attract litter and cleaner he won't let me make any more purchases towards solving this litter box problem. Because of Dexters upcoming vet visit and both of their upcoming surgeries and the stuff I bought for them.(which is not unreasonable stuff. I got A cat tree, a collar for Dexter, some toys, a few more cat scratchers.) So I have to do this without spending more money than what I have already done aside from the future vet costs. Maybe he will come around once he calms down. These are his first pets and sometimes he just doesn't get that cats aren't cute fuzzy robots you can program to love you.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:52 AM
Cat Addict

He's just a baby, and babies will make mistakes. Especially if he wasn't in a good environment before.

Rather than giving him free roam I'd start by confining him to a bathroom with a small scratch post, his food and water, toys, and the litter box. If it's always nearby then he'll be much more likely to use it. Only bring him out under supervision, and have a litter box (temporarily) in each room he has access to - so there's always one near by for if he has to go.

I'd also take a little clump of litter from one of Agnes' boxes and 'seed' Dexter's box with it. Then place him in the box once every 20 minutes or so, and I bet he'll catch on right away.

He's still just a baby, so there's lots of time for him to learn good behaviors. No need to panic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks! The situation seems more manageable in the light of day. My bathroom is really tiny so I moved him into my sons playroom, which is small but not claustrophobic. Thankfully I have tiled floors so I just cleared up the rubber mats and the toys. I put his litter box on one side and his food and water dishes, scratching post and perch on the other side. I was letting him roam a couple hours yesterday while Agnes was confined but that is over for now. So far he hasn't used the box but I am hoping he will cave. There's nothing in there to scape in or dig or cover up with except for the litter.

Thanks for the tip about seeding his box, I thought that her scent might deter him but if it will give him a guide then I will try it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Cat Addict

Kittens aren't territorial, another cat's scent will tell him that it's the right place to go.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Cat

Sometimes cats like to pee on the rubber backed bathroom rugs. When Lula was young she used to pee on my bathroom rug too. She was good otherwise. I think some cats are attracted to the smell of the rubber. I don't use the rubber backed types anymore, Lula hasn't done that since. Just another thought to keep in mind. I am sure Dexter will get the hang of the box.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 11:07 PM
Premier Cat

I had to take off my bathroom rugs out as one of mine kept using them as his place to pee. Confining him to a small place with his litterbox is great advice. He is still little and he will learn. Don't give up on him. If it is any consolation I have also being admonished for buying kitty stuff. Can't help but spoil those fur babies.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks guys. Sonce I implemented the stricter measures detailed above he was doing great and using the boxes without a problem, until today.

He peed on the bed. Luckily I have my mattress wrapped in plastic. I soaked the urinated areas in nature's miracle and then laundered them and wiped down the plastic mattress top with more nature's miracle.

I am trying to figure out his motivation. It seems like he has learned to go on cloth, or for some reason he prefers it. The thing is he had a box right there to go in. I have been scooping once a day, I think I will go to twice. I've got world's best in one box and cat attract in one.

He was doing really well until then. Not sure why the accident happened.

The only thing I can think is to scoop more.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Premier Cat

I can't help but imagine that the situation he was in before he came to you was not the best. He may not even have had a litterbox! Just stay with the stricter measures for a longer time. He may need to relearn the proper way to eliminate. That poor little guy! Is it just peeing outside the box or pooping also? If it is just pee it might be a good idea to have a vet check him for a urinary tract infection. Please keep us posted.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Cat

That's correct, both accidents were pee. He hasn't pooped outside the box yet. He is seeing the vet on Tuesday so I will ask about getting him checked for a urinary problem. I guess a urinalysis is what they would do? Do I need to bring one of his pee clumps in to be analyzed? Or would they collect his urine another way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page